STC 1000 plus

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgeraudio

Reaction score
Has anyone had a go with the STC 1000 plus firmware?
I am looking at building a fermentation fridge and like the look of the additional features that the plus mods give.
I am sure I read somewhere that there is a different hardware board out now that makes it harder to implement the new firmware but I cant find the page now!
Can anyone offer any advise or info on whether any old STC 1000 can take the mod or if it has to be a certain variant.
Cheers
Mike

Yep, I have 3 of them - unfortunately it's pot luck whether you get the right one or not, and you don't know until you've taken it to bits and seen the type of chip and whether it has solder pads or holes where they should be.

These are the ones I bought, but there's no guarantee they will still be the flashable ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IJ0F2OW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
At least my mind wasn't playing tricks on me and I had read that there was an issue with some boards!

When did you last buy a STC? Do you know if the sellers are aware of the differences incase it is worth asking before you buy?

Cheers

Probably 3-4 months ago - if you find one that they can guarantee is upgradable they will probably charge you extra for it unfortunately - the original thought was it was v1.0 that was fine and v1.1 that wasn't, but that's not true because some v1.1 boards also work fine.

Here you go:

Amazon said:
So the STC-1000 is a great little thing that I use to control a fridge for homebrewing beer (and with the addition of an SSR, controlling heating elements), though they are also popular for fish-tank temperature controls and I've even seen them used for curing meats, making cheese and making a pseudo-sous vide controller for a slow cooker. If any of those things are of interest to you, I highly recommend it. For less than £20, you would be hard pushed to find a more useful temp controller.

The real joy with this one however is (as of Mid August '14 when I purchased it) it contains the v1.0 circuit board inside it which has accessible headers to reprogram the firmware with a custom version that massively enhances its capabilities. The firmware I flashed (google for STC-1000+) increases the level of functionality by leaps and bounds. It does require an Arduino (just for the flash, borrow one off someone if you only need it for this) and some soldering skill but now it not only controls temperature but supports pre-programmed profiles, adds a temperature ramping feature, fine control of temperature hysteresis, selectable temperature units (Fahrenheit or Celsius) and the ability to correct for errors in your temperature probe. Most of this stuff is usually only found in £100+ controllers! Obviously these aren't' marketed for this upgrade and there is no guarantees that you will get the right board as all units look identical on the outside, its only the stamp on the actual board that tells the version.

Stll, on its own, the STC-1000 is great for controlling temperature, whatever purpose you need it for. The ability to add the 1000+ firmware makes this one a solid choice for brewers. Why pay more for less?

Spud - google for it and where you find the sources you will find a LONG manual too.. worth printing and keeping by any flashed units, tho i need the bog standard stc1000 instructions at hand to set, ;)

re flashing v1.1 stc1000's it can be done in some cases, crack the case and if the solderpads exist its worth trying even if the board has v1.1 printed on it, also if it fails on attempt #1 retry.. it can take a couple of attempts with the v1.1 boards with solderpads..

peel back the label rather than cutting then if no solderpads are available for the re-flash you have the option to return under uk distance selling regs..

So...

Useful if you are doing a repeat brew and you know how the previous fermentation went. You could program the STC-1000+ with the desired temperature and duration for fermentation, diacetyl rest, and cold conditioning then go away on your hols and it will be ready to bottle when you get back :cool:

Latest posts

Back