Where to buy my initial setup kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.E.D.B.P

Reaction score
Hi all,

My garage pilot brewery will be starting up quite soon. Tomorrow, the garage door man is coming to fit the new door, which will finally allow my access to the space.
I've picked up a jet wash, and decided on the paint I'm using for the walls and floor.
Hopefully, I can get that all done by the end of this weekend.

So its time to start lining up my purchases. I'm hoping for some help in finding the right kit at the right prices.

The things I need

50L Metal pot for boils - I got a tip about the German guy on ebay France, I'm going to email him tonight - but any other suggestions before I do?

A Gas Burner and stand. I'll be working with propane tanks for 20-25L brews

A wort chiller. Decided to go with a copper loop system. I really hope my coolbox filled with ice water is going to be enough to get the temps down. I guess I can do a test run with boiling water first to at least get an idea. I'll be re-circulating the same pool of water with a 12V pump.

A bottler capper - those bench-mounted ones look better suited to my needs?

250-500L Water container. I got a tip for this the other day, which I'll follow up on. But any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter

a coldbox of iced water isnt gonna chil 25l of off the boil wort unless its 1-200l in volume..

add 25l of 100c water to 25l of 0c water and you will have 50l of 50c water..
and when chilling it the effeiceny drops the closer the cooling liquid temp approaches the liquor being cooled.

to buy kit ready made http://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/
mrlard aka Mark who runs this is a brewer and is very hepful.

a coldbox of iced water isnt gonna chil 25l of off the boil wort unless its 1-200l in volume..

add 25l of 100c water to 25l of 0c water and you will have 50l of 50c water..
and when chilling it the effeiceny drops the closer the cooling liquid temp approaches the liquor being cooled.

to buy kit ready made http://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/
mrlard aka Mark who runs this is a brewer and is very hepful.

Ah sorry, when I said iced water, I meant lots of ice with water. They're far more cooling power than 0c water.
The question is, how much ice do I need. I'll find that out I guess :-)

I just keep topping up my freezer tray the week before I'm brewing and use freezer blocks to. Or empty bottles of cordial filled with water and frozen. I didn't actually use any ice on my last brew. Freezer blocks did the trick.

Probably a stupid question but how do you actually get the water to flow through it?

I was planning on using a standard cooler box, and I have a submersible water pump which will drive the water through the tubing and back into the same cooler box

Although I do like the idea above that I can use JUST cold water at first and let that water heat up, then dump it and go again for a 2nd run, using the ice.

Thanks for that tip!

Thanks Bungle

I am a little none the wiser, how are you actually pumping the water through there. It is obviously defying gravity so requires some pressure?

Haha. If you look closely you will see a lead going in the black bucket. It's a small 12v submersible water pump.

Ah, I couldn't see that either. But yes, that's exactly how I've planned to do it.

I already have the pump wired up as I used it for pumping water elsewhere.

Haha. If you look closely you will see a lead going in the black bucket. It's a small 12v submersible water pump.

I think you got us all good and proper, I sent a pm to Covrich a asking if he knew how you were doing it after his original question and you reply.:lol:

It's ok bungle, we all love it in the bucket when it's needed...

Not so much equipment, but facilities. Have you considered more basic issues like water supply and a drain to get rid of used water?

If it's attached to the house that's great, but if your garage is set off to one side away from the house, then I'd look at these things before getting too far down the brewery path.

Not so much equipment, but facilities. Have you considered more basic issues like water supply and a drain to get rid of used water?

If it's attached to the house that's great, but if your garage is set off to one side away from the house, then I'd look at these things before getting too far down the brewery path.

This is purely a pilot brewery, for 2 purposes.
1 - Learn how to brew
2 - Create some recipies before moving to a commercial premise.

But yes, there is a drain - fortunately right at the end of the garage door.
I will be buying 50m of food grade hose, and a food grade water container.

But nothing from this unit will be being sold. I suspect most of it will be given away as samples to friends and family in return for spare bottles and feedback.

Wasn't trying to pick holes in your plans, but if you've got the drainage and a water source it will make your brewing much easier. The easier it is, the more you'll enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back