Bit of advice with first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toredan

Reaction score
Hey there! Recently thought I'd try my hand at brewing and after a good read on the forums here I chose the malina recipe everyone seems to like. So I went with a 5 litre plastic container from my local homebrew shop and also bought some young's super yeast and super yeast nutrient. Into the container went 4 litres water, 1 litre apple juice, 1x 440ml bottle of malina and 400g of sugar and a teaspoon each of yeast and yeast nutrient. After 24 hours I found there was very little bubble-action going on so I thought maybe I didn't treat the yeast with the respect it needed and added another teaspoon. (think this was my mistake).Day 2 I wake up to find out it's bubbled over and there is some foam on the tray I was brewing on. (lucky me using a tray, not so angry wife). We're now 5 days in and it's almost stopped bubbling completely so on a whim this morning I've opened the container and dropped my hydrometer in and it's reading just above 1.000. With my limited knowledge of viscosity that does mean that there is almost no sugar left, is this correct? Should I add more sugar? It's been kept at 23 degrees. Thanks in advance gang.

Bit of an update, I've just tried it. It tastes like wine and gave me that warm tummy feeling so I'm slightly confused. Has it just brewed that quickly? Was it the temp? too much yeast?

You need about a kilo of sugar per gallon. 1 litre of apple juice has 110 g, Malina 286 g. Plus the 400 g makes about 800 g. Therefore you can now add 200 g and wait till the sg falls below 1000. For a dry wine 994.

Ok, thanks mate. Followed original recipe here: (http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11464) and was confused as reports there were it took 7-10 days, not the 5 it seemed to take mine. Will add 200g to a bit of boiling water and add to the brew. Will I have to re-add the yeast or would there still be some alive to restart? at the minute it's not bubbling at all.

Don't use boiling water, just mix the sugar in. Start with 50 g. The yeast should cause a bit of fizz, in which case, you can add the rest of the sugar. If not, don't add any more sugar.

Latest posts

Back