On the Rocks Apple Cider - is it working?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tefkab

Reaction score
Hi all

I just started the above kit a few days ago, as per all instructions and all my kit was cleaned and sterilised. It's been going 4 days now and I noticed that it's gone cloudy, and smells really acidic. It's fizzing and the smell is quite acrid. The first few days there was a nice head on it but that's disappeared. Does this sound normal or is this how brews go when they go off?

Oops didn't realise there was a different section for ciders, can any mods move this please?

I only make turbo cider but that sounds completely normal to me. Be patient, all will be fine.

Ok thanks, that's a relief, first cider I've done and all that. The beers I've done up to now smell totally different, this just smells unpleasant?!

Yes cider does have an eggy smell when fermenting, different to ale. Also I find quite acidic tasting when first bottled, gets nicer in time though if you can make it last.

yeh it doesn't really get much of a head/krausen on it like beer or even wine - I've got one that I started on Tuesday night and it doesn't look like it's done anything much, although will have started fermenting away

(I hope, better measure the SG when I get home haha :shock: )

Ok thanks, that's a relief, first cider I've done and all that. The beers I've done up to now smell totally different, this just smells unpleasant?!
Haha i remember when i did a cider kit, Id done loads of beer kits woke up one morning and the house stunk so i rang my lhbs where i bought it from and the chap said whats your problem i said its brewed for a few days now but it stinks today is it a infection he replied saying no that smell is rhino fart its normal lol
Steve

here's my cider after two days, gone from 1.045 to 1.035

doesn't look like it's doing much tho hehe

20150423_230439.jpg

That's pretty much exactly how mine looks after 5 days. It did have a head in it for about 48 hrs then it disappeared

OG of 1.040 is now down to .994 after 8 days. It's less cloudy now and I've had a slurp and it tastes ok. What a difference a few days make! It was positively rank when I first took a sniff, it was like something you might clean your patio with! Will bottle up once it's level for a few days but thanks for the advice so far.

It will clear once it's bottled and had 1 week carbonating and a further week conditioning in the cool.. Let us know how it goes:wink:

All went really well, it's probably a bit sweeter than I'd like so maybe I'd add a bit less sugar either at fermenting or bottling phase, I'm not really sure how that would affect the sweetness?

Latest posts

Back