Amarillo/Citra AG BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajsparky

Reaction score
Hi all ,
This will be my third AG brew since following clibits brilliant thread on simple all grain brewing.
Looking to brew a hoppy american stylish beer and after fiddling with Brew mate i came up with this recipe.
10litre Batch size:
Grain
2.2 kg Maris Otter
100g Torrified Wheat
Hops
15g Amarillo @60mins
5g Citra @60mins
10g Amarillo @15mins
5g Citra @ 15mins
5g Citra @ 5mins

60 min Mash and 60 Min boil
Safale US-05 yeast

Does this look OK? I put the Torrified Wheat in for head retention but really don't know if this is needed.

Yes it does. How many IBUs?

Being a tight **** I'd use a cheaper hop at 60 mins and save my Amarillo and Citra for later additions, but I'm just a tight ****. End of!

IBU's came out at 49.
Tried to aim average for a first trial at this style beer ,especially with using citra as I gather it's easy to get into cat pee territory.

Thanks Clibit I will have a mess around with the recipe tonight and see where I get to.

I reckon the best way to avoid cat pee is to avoid early hop additions. Put more hops in later instead. aim for about 40 IBUs with hop additions at 30 mins, 15 mins, 5 mins and 0 mins. Something like that.

Took your advice Clibit and brewed today folowing this recipe,
10litre Volume
2.2kg Maris Otter
50g Crystal 10
80g Torrified Wheat
Mashed for 1hr

Boil
60 min
10g Amarillo 30mins
10g Amarillo 15mins
10g Amarillo 5mins
15g Amarillo and 15g Citra at Flameout
IBU's Came out at 29 on brewmate.
Gravity was expected to be 1.051 which I hit but added a little bottled water to increase volume so ended up at 1.049.
Not quite sussed losses out yet!
Looking forward to see how this one turns out!

Hey that sounds really good. Nice work. Good malt balance and the hopping should work out great I reckon. Let me know how it goes.

I dropped my 60m citra addition down to 10g from 15g (if I recall correctly) on the basis of this, and kept the end addition high at 45g (11.5 L). The fv smells great, no cat pee in evidence. Though to be honest all my beers smell much the same from the fv as they have mostly used American style hops.

Cheers Clibit ,I will certainly let you know how this goes!

20150427_115625.jpg

I was weighing out Amarillo and Citra with Bunglebrewsbeer today, like a pair of dealers. The smell was just fantastic. Bungles' next beer uses Citra and Amarillo. I'm not sure about myself, will use one or the other, or both.

To be honest Clibit after I had opened both hop bags I very nearly omitted the Citra and doubled the last Amarillo addition!
The Amarillo did smell fantastic !
Gareth I will be following your Black IPA thread looks good!
I left my wort after flameout for 10 mins before starting the chill.Going to give this a go without a dry hop.

Gareth I will be following your Black IPA thread looks good!
I left my wort after flameout for 10 mins before starting the chill.Going to give this a go without a dry hop.

I did similar. Hadn't realised that for flame out hop it's best to leave wort to get below 80c, so did that this time, they steeped for about 15-20 mins in cooling wort. I'll definitely be dry hopping as I'm mad for big hop hits. Don't care if I'm risking cat pee. People say oregano smells of cat pee but I love it

To be honest I am still cooling in the sink so probably had a lot longer.
I find Oakham ales Citra does smell a little cat pissy but still tastes great!
I am sure you will nail it Gareth!

when you brew as badly as me you learn to love a variety of lavatorial flavours!

Top tip, use the bath to cool, not the sink, cools much quicker as it doesn't warm up the water as fast.

when you brew as badly as me you learn to love a variety of lavatorial flavours!

Top tip, use the bath to cool, not the sink, cools much quicker as it doesn't warm up the water as fast.

I thought you were going to say use the toilet to cool and flush often:lol:

Noooooooooooooo! I have 100G of citra unopened. Will chuck them in as a dry hop next brew then to avoid any 'cat' connotations.

Don't care if I'm risking cat pee. People say oregano smells of cat pee but I love it

I have an old tom cat I could lend you for a fiver if you like. He'll 'hop' anything you like to put in front of him. :)

I love citra and have been dry hopping my kit brews with it since I got back into this game. I notice that as the brews age, the lovely aroma fades, unless I am just getting over used to it and don't get it any more.

I used citra as bittering and flavour hop in my first AG brew about a month ago... Can't wait to start on that one come the weekend. Sample tasted all right, but wasn't even clear when tested.

Latest posts

Back