St. Peters Golden pimped or partial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a St.Peters Golden ale two can kit which I bought because the Missus liked the first one. She now prefers the AGs I've been producing. So I've been thinking of doing a mixed extract and grain or doing half quantity using one can and using real hops instead of the hop extract.

Thinking about it I don't think the half quantity with real hops is going to fool her so it will have to be the partial. She likes the lighter coloured beers so it will probably just be Maris Otter for the grains. So do I just :-

Use the amount of MA that I would use in a 10 litre brew and the same amount of water i.e. around 2KG and 7 litres for the mash and then another 6 for the sparge.
Add the Tin to the combination of the above.
Proceed as an AG.
Top up to the 21 litres as per the St. Peter's instructions.

Is that right ?

Does the fact that the boil will be 'rich' in sugar mean I need to adjust the hops in some way ?

Due to my current set-up's really slow boil time is there a way I can condense it a bit more ? I've got a pan that can get 7 litres to the boil quickly.

Pretty much. Add the kit can after the boil. Read this:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52938

Great link. Just what I was looking for.:hat:

Just a thought, why can't you use the double bucket lauter tun as the mash tun ? Admittedly some of the mash water would immediately go into the space between the buckets and not be useful. But you could put your grains and mash water in the lauter buckets, wait an hour, drain, then lauter. You could still use a grain bag. Am I missing something ?

Well, it has been transferred to the PB. Not sure what went wrong on brew day but the extraction was very low with an OG of around 1.035. Worried about it for a few days before deciding to put 500g of extra light DME in there (having boiled it in a litre of water first) which took it to an OG equivalent of 1.042.

The final recipe (with late addition) was 1 can from the kit, 1.5 kg of Maris otter, 250g of what I think was crystal malt and 150 g of torrified wheat, 500g of un-necessary DME.

Hops was challenger at 60 and 10 minutes, 20g then 5g.

FG was 1.012.

Sneaky taste and it's nice, hoppy but not too hoppy.

Let's hope the missus doesn't think I've ruined her St. Peters gold :shock:

I sensibly bottled a couple of 500 ml PET bottles as well as the PB. They had firmed up nicely by yesterday evening so we tried one. Thankfully it tastes really nice and received SWIMBO's approval. It's now re-named to St. Peter's Golden Mongrel (as is it kit, grain and DME).

I was concerned that the PB was not showing signs of pressure so opened the tap and there was definitely no fizz. Put some soapy water around the lid and there were little bubbles coming from around the valve. So I tightened the nut until bubbling stopped and then gave it a CO2 injection. I'm sure last time I did that it was a gentle hiss as the CO2 came out, this time it was a 'wump' instant discharge and barrel almost jumped. No bubbles emerged from the valve so I think it is back on track :)

Lesson learned, check the PB after a few days for leaks.

Latest posts

Back