Autumn Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Because I'm a big fan of leaving beers in the bottles until they mature (and also really bad at guzzling them before this) I feel like making an autumnal ale sometime soon before it gets too warm and then putting it in storage until late September/early October.

I love a biscuity-tasting red ale at around this time of year. I have a few recipes but I thought I'd ask on here as I'm new to A.G!

It would be for a 23 litre batch.

Here's one, does 4.3% ABV sound ok?:

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.044
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.32 %
Bitterness (IBU): 33.5
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

3.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (78.48%)
0.500 kg Munich UK (11.21%)
0.250 kg Crystal 40 (5.61%)
0.150 kg Crystal 120 (3.36%)
0.060 kg Roasted Barley (1.35%)

20.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
20.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
20.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.

Autumn ales are my favourite. Shame most pubs don't grasp that ale is seasonal. One of my favourite ever beers is Autumn shield

It's not based on a commercial ale, just things I've made. I've done this kind of grain mix with both English hops and with US hops. Both work well. You could hop it like an American Pale Ale or IPA. I've done that and it was great, if you like a beer that packed with strong flavours. My 18 year old son loved them too.

My previous attempts have had OGs in the 1050s and more IBUs. This is a toned down, more Irish version than that, I've dropped the OG to 1044 and the IBUs to 33ish. Lower than I've done a red ale, but I really fancy doing this. This looks like recipes I've seen for Irish reds. The spicy Challenger hops should work great. You could maybe bitter it with Admiral hops if you have them. I've not drunk many commercial red ales at all, I've had the Irish one made by Guinness a few times over there, this one is more malty than that. It sounds like St Peters Ruby Ale may be similar, perhaps, but i've never had that, so i might be completely wrong.

If you want a lighter body, replace the Munich with extra pale malt.

I'm going to my LHBS after work to shop for this- I have a packet of challenger in the freezer along with some magnum and East Kent Goldings.

Excited to do something other than an IPA/Summer Ale. I have to say: I am an AG convert now and I don't think I could go back to kits. The freshness of the flavours is lovely and it doesn't have that slightly syrupy afterburn that a tweaked kit can have.

Whatever you like using in ales really. I'd probably go US-05 myself, out of the dried options. WLP002 or Wyeast 1968, perhaps, if using liquid. Or Wyeast 1318.

Excellent, thank you sir. I haven't had the guts to use liquid yeast yet as I am still a bit foxed as to how to make a starter! US-05 has yielded good results so far and seems to pack down well in the bottle.

I forgot to put in the irish moss (like a big eejit) and I have now bottled up some murky brown beer :-(

When I used to do kits I never used to give a toss about the clarity of the beer, never used finings etc. but since I've started using A.G I am a little bit obsessed. The previous three efforts have cleared pretty well but I had remembered the I.M.

Latest posts

Back