White House Honey Ale: Bottle at 1020?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbear

Reaction score
Hello

This site has been a goldmine in getting me set up and through the first 5 AG brews. Many thanks.

A query: I have a brew of the White House Honey Ale (extract kit from Brewstore, I think - gift) which is sitting at 1020 after 23 days in FV. What would people advise: should I bottle at this high SG?

The brew started at 1071 (!) so perhaps it's time? The brew is as cloudy as Dickensian fog.

Should I:
1) Bottle?
2) Rack to secondary? (this would be in a week: need to add new tap to extra FV)
3) Other?

Advice and views gratefully received.

The details:
3kg spray malt
340 Crystal
230 Biscuit
Yeast: Windsor

Pitched at 17c

Volume: 16.5l (misjudged the boil-off due to naivety :doh:)

Gravity readings
Day 0: 1071
Day 9: 1022
Day 14: 1022
Day 20: 1020
Day 23: 1020

Fermented around 18-21c (lost my notes on the temp readings)

After 23 days in the FV and no change in gravity for the last 3 days I would go for bottling. A word of caution though, if it is a stuck fermentation and you add it to the priming sugar it might start off again, so if you can keep the bottles in a shed/garage.

tbh, the Windsor has done quite well being a medium attenuator. Putting the OG/FG into a calculator give a ABV% of 6.67 ,giving a AA% of 71.83%. In general the higher the OG the higher the FG. Beers don't always finish as around 1.010 regardless. Does it taste particularly sweet? If it doesn't I'd just bottle it as is

Thanks for the advice. It does taste sweet (similar sweetness to vimto, if that's a useful benchmark, or a cuppa with 1 and a 1/2 sugars!)

You could try the standard advice for stuck brews, give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast and put it somewhere warm. Although I wouldn't be too optomistic as the Windsor has done so well already - FYI from my reading around the forums Windsor seems to attenuate at around the mid to late 60%'s

Well - to update and close this...

I gave a damned good stir on Day 25 at 1020, and there was no change in FG across the next 10 days. So I bottled at Day 34, then conditioned for 10 days at mid-teens C, then out to 5-7 degrees for 2 weeks...

This means it was 1070to 1020 = about 6.7%.

No bottlebombs or problems. The beer is clear and okay, but doesn't taste good (cloying). Tastes like **** extractcans beer. I'll force myself to drink it :sick: but it tastes like the beer I was embarrassed by before I discovered all grain.

thanks for the advice on here. At least I didn't have any explosions!

Back