cons of mashing the night before? if any.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davereal

Regular.
Reaction score
Usually brew on a saturday , nice and steady. done biab summer lightning last night that seemed to take ages, finished cleaning up about 2a.m. which included freeing up a f.v. and bottling .had 5 bottles whilst brewing, resulting in a few minor hiccups. jut wondering, if stuck for time,could i mash the grains the night before, remove bag, cover and boil next day? are there any risks involved such as infection or will the boil sort that out even a day later. if this is an o.k practice, any tips most welcome. cheers, dave

wise words. yep usually just have 1 or 2 while brewing then a couple after the clean up. had the friday feeling yesterday. must admit, bit sketchy by the end, losing glasses , forgetting stuff etc. all good thou.

I would have thought that the boil would kill off anything nasty but I think I would prefer to boil and then cool overnight, then transfer to FV the next day. I think you are supposed to cool quick but I've seen (on this forum) that people do cool overnight with no issues.

I've just got one of these :-

http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=720&category=282

I'm going to use it to make CO2 'blankets' when I'm doing transfers to open vessels for racking etc. and I'm going to leave it exposed for a while. It's a pain that postage costs nearly as much as the device itself.

So you could use it to protect either the product of the mash or the boil.

people do transfer from boiler to cube and leave over night to cool then pitch yeast. ive never done it but can see it is handy. theirs plenty brewers in australia use this method and leave the wort in cubes for a good few weeks before fermenting. the boiled wort into cube sanitizes the cube enough to be stored.

I do a BIAB over two days. I basically no -chill in the fermenter, so I chuck the boiling wort into the FV and pitch the next day. Mirsultankhan, another forum member, does this too in some form

As the wort cools it contracts and 'sucks' in air if your FV top isn't pretty tight on and can potentially suck in contaminants too so you need to take precautions. I cover with cling film and hold it in place with a big elastic band. Doing this you need to sanitise the cling film as the steam from the boiling wort condenses on the cling film then drips back into the wort - I use star san in a spray bottle to do this.

You can mash over night to do a brew over three days but I haven't tried this yet but I'm aware there are people that do this. The danger is that as the wort falls below a certain temp during the night (can't remeber what the temp is) it then gets into prime temp range for contaminents to grow. Even if you boil it after to kill them the damage can already be done and you can end up with a sour(ish) tasting beer

I find the next morning the wort isn't quite to pitching temp (usually find its at 25C-30C) so I sanitize 5x500ml PET bottles full of ice and chuck em in the wort to cool it down to temp. You can of course just leave it till it gets down to temp

can understand fully what your saying MyQul but brewers in aus. for instance are leaving the unfermented wort in cubs for quite some time and dont seem to be having trouble with infections.
the way i understand once in the cube and the cube is squeezed to get air out it lasts no problem.
now ive never done that and dont need to but i can see the benefit to some.

Using a cube (there basically a big plasic jerry can) you can screw down the top and make it air tight, so you can protect against infection. If you no chill in the fermenter like I do it's not air tight so you have to take precautions (the cling film). You can of course stick your boiling wort in a no chill cube then pour it into your FV when it's down to pitching temp but the way I do it's skips the no chill cube step.

I'm going to pitch the following day so I don't see any sense in me adding an extra step in using a cube. I would only use a cue if I was going to keep the wort for any length of time - I understand you can keep the wort in the cube for months with no ill effect.

Latest posts

Back