Plate vs Immersion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJD

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I'm a newby to homebrewing, having completed about 5 brews, some more successful than others.
I expect this has already been covered, but I was just wondering what the majority of you on this forum use to chill your wort, immersion of plate chillers.
I currently use the ' pot in a bath of ice ' technique, but am looking to increase my brewing chops, and reduce the danger of infection as much as possible.
If you guys have any advice, or pros and cons of using either method, I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Many Thanks!

Two Stage
Thanks for the reply. I had read that article, and several others that seemed to favour I.M. over plate.

Now the next question is....copper or stainless?

I use a homemade counter flow chiller. Consists of 3m 8 mm copper tube with bit of hose pipe round the outside and a few different fittings. Chills the wort down to about 25 c in 20 mins although if I made another one I would look at using 5m of tube for better efficiency

I use a homemade counter flow chiller. Consists of 3m 8 mm copper tube with bit of hose pipe round the outside and a few different fittings. Chills the wort down to about 25 c in 20 mins although if I made another one I would look at using 5m of tube for better efficiency

+1. I use a 10m length of 10mm in my counterflow - wort comes out at around 20°c straight off the bat. Pipe plus fittings and hose cost me less than £60.

+1. I use a 10m length of 10mm in my counterflow - wort comes out at around 20°c straight off the bat. Pipe plus fittings and hose cost me less than £60.

Looks like something from a Frankenstein film. Is there a jar containing a brain in the middle of the coils ?:grin:

I've recently ordered a immersion so I'll have to put up with 20 minute cools (which will be a big improvement over the current situation :D).

There are pros and cons to them all, I think immersion is just the easiest to use and hardest to go wrong.

i use a 125kw plate chiller and cost just over £60 i also use a mag pump straight from the kettle through the chiller and return to the kettle. It will cool 25 litres from boiling to pitching temp in around 15 to 20 mins. Having had both immersion and plate chillers i reckon immersion chillers are less fuss

Ok
Thanks everyone to replying to my post, its been a great help!

Latest posts

Back