Wort Aerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Knocked up this wort aerator. The ones I've seen on the web use an in-line syringe filter in the air line. I decided to filter on the air intake. I've used :-

A tupperware box
The piece of the tube that used to house my hydrometer (until I smashed it)
The cap off the hydrometer tube drilled with little holes (stops the cotton wool air filters from being sucked into the tupperware box)
A couple of O-rings to hold the air intake in place
A dual fish tank aerator
A five metre airline hose so I could have two long hoses.
Food grade filler to seal it.

I stick two damp bits of cotton wool in the intake and run it for a while to ensure clean air is being pushed through before I use it. The non-return valves make it easy to detach the tubes for cleaning.

Built it because I was concerned I wasn't aerating enough.

Does it make a difference ? Don't know yet.

I used it on my recent porter brew and it created a nice foam on the top of the wort whilst it was running. I used it to mix the yeast in too (rather than hydrating).

As a test I've just made two DJs of red wine, one I shook the RGJ to aerate it as usual, the other I ran one of the aerators through it for 15 minutes. I'll be interested in how they progress.
thumb2_img-20150425-00632-102.jpg

. I used it to mix the yeast in too (rather than hydrating).

There is a purpose to hydrating yeast. If you just sprinkle it on top (or mix it in with your aerator) up to half the yeast can die, possibly leading to a stuck fermentation. Hydrating yeast makes sure it's viable and fighting fit ready to turn all that wort into beer

'Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer'

By the way, the aerator can also act as a vacuum pump.

I've done a couple of fruity TCs for my daughters and both have formed rafts of gunk on the top like something from Dr. Who. It collapses into the cider when I siphon it off meaning I lose about 1/2 litre.

I'm going to make a 'gunk trap' with a plastic bottle and a couple of bits of tubing and use the intake pipe of the aerator to suck it in.

Latest posts

Back