Evil dog hops.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renton87

Reaction score
Hi lads just got this kit going , this is my first ever brew !! It's currently in the fermenting bucket at 23 degrees , no idea what to do with the hops that came with it , when do I add them? cheers.

Depends on how hoppy you want it to be. I think this beer needs about three weeks in the FV. The later you add them, the more aroma you'll get. People who have done this kit before have recommended adding them 1 - 2 days before bottling, so after 20 days. If you search for this brew using search tool at top you'll get some ideas.

Cheers for the reply ,
The equipment that came in my kit only has the FV then plastic keg , siphon ect , the instructions say after 4 days add the hops but there are 2 diffrent hops , u know if they both go in same time ? And when should I move it into the keg ?
Cheers

I've done this kit. It took 3 weeks to finish in the FV. Most people, me included, wait until the fermentation has finished and then add hops for a couple of days before bottling or putting in the pressure barrel but you can add them sooner if you don't want it to be too hoppy. You need to add both sets of hops at the same time.

As to when you need to transfer to your barrel, wait until you get a steady gravity reading around the suggested finishing figure of 1.008 to 1.014 for two or three consecutive days. This shows that primary fermentation has finished. You may want to add your hops at this point or wait a few more days. Once the hops are in, wait two days and then barrel. I generally like to leave the brew in the FV for a week after fermentation has finished so I added my hops about 4 or 5 days after 2 steady gravity readings. Hope this makes sense.:wha:

Both hops at the same time. Did they come in something that looks like a teabag? Did the kit come with a hydrometer? You should move it into the keg when the hydrometer reading hasn't changed for a couple of days, or when the airlock on your fv has stopped bubbling. Kit reviews I've seen for this say leave it in fv for about three weeks, and add both hops together.

Cheers all the tips you guys have advised have cleared a few things up I'm Defs more confident with this 1st kit now ,
Can't wait to get a taste ha ! When do you usually start tasting ? A few weeks after it's been transferred to the barrel ?

The usual timescale after bottling/ barrelling is 2 weeks in the warm ( room temp) so it can carb up and then 2 weeks in the cold. Reviews of this have said it gets better the longer you leave it , 6-8 weeks is not unusual. I've had a couple already and mine has been bottled for nearly 4 weeks. It's crystal clear and tastes strong and fruity but I think it needs a bit longer for the flavour to mellow out. The bottle on the left of my profile pic is the evil dog. Good luck with it.

Cheers

I'm on day 4 now seems to have a great head/foam from fermenting , based on the advice I think I will leave it as it is for another 2 weeks then put hops in together leave for a few days then into plastic keg via siphon and leave for 2-3 weeks before tasting ?

May sound daft but have you used finnings I think there called into keg and also any need for sugar or carb drop things that come with the kit ?

I haven't used finings and mine came out crystal clear. Others haven't been as lucky. If you put it in a cool environment after 2 weeks in the warm it should clear well enough after a couple more weeks. You will need to use sugar to prime your bottles or barrel. Just use the amount specified in the instructions. I used half a teaspoon per 500 ml bottle and it seems to have carbed up ok. You can use brewing sugar or just normal table sugar.

This was mine after 2 weeks conditioning in the warm

image.jpg

Ahh man that looks awsome I want mine now ha ! Think I will need a bit of sugar then as it's going into the keg
This is how mine looks now , keg next to it too

image.jpg

Hey guys quick update on day 10 , airlock bubbling about every 20-30 secs mybz a bit longer , opened to have a look and the head/foam is massive should it be like this ? Will this go down before transferring to keg around day 17 ?
Cheers

Sounds like its doing what it should be doing. I know its difficult but try and leave it be. When the airlock has stopped for 2-3 days take a reading with the hydrometer, if its below 1010 then you can add the teabags.

Hey guys quick update , day 17 hops added , looking and smelling good think I will wait till Saturday then transfer to keg
Also the kit came with co2 canisters do I need to use these at some point or will it carb up by itself in the pressure keg ?

Hey guys quick update , day 17 hops added , looking and smelling good think I will wait till Saturday then transfer to keg
Also the kit came with co2 canisters do I need to use these at some point or will it carb up by itself in the pressure keg ?

When you add it to the keg you will need to add the sugar for carbination, usually about 100g in half a pint of boiled water.

When you eventually come to drink the beer and about half of it has gone, it will create a vacuum in the keg (you will notice the flow of beer slowing). This is when you add a canister of co2, it repressurises the keg so that you don't draw in air back through the tap as this would make the beer go off. Save the other canister for when this happens a second time (about 3/4 gone).

Thanks for your advice mate it's on point !
As you guys know this is my 1st attempt at homebrewing and it's been slightly confusing ha !
Today I bought some brewing sugar ( wilkinsons ) brand , I syphoned to the keg which was a struggle as I had no idea what I was doing ! While it was going it was really cloudy and lots of bits in ? Is this usual ? Will it drop to the bottom and clear in a week or so ?
Iv bought bottles but not sure weather to fill these from the keg tap ? Cheers
I will add pics

a1111111111.jpg

Latest posts

Back