Back Sweetening wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabi

Reaction score
Hi All :-)
I need some advice. I'm just making a Cellar 7 Merlot 30 bottle wine kit and it's now at the clearing stage. Before adding the stabilisers I tasted it and it seemed very dry. I may want to back-sweeten it a little after clearing and I think it would taste better sweetened with grape concentrate rather than sugar syrup. Considering that potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite was part of the kit and added before clearing, would I need to add additional sorbate and metabisulfite after back-sweetening? And how much? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks :-)

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Once stabilised the yeast will not ferment any new sugar added so no need to add more.

Thanks for that :-) I wasn't sure because I read that when sugar is added after fermentation has ended it could potentially re-start the fermentation. But the sorbate should inhibit this process. I'm new to wine making :-) I wasn't sure whether sorbate becomes less effective after the wine has clarified. Anyway, thanks again! :-)

Potassium Sorbate kills the yeast so adding more sugar is not a problem.

Potassium Sorbate (PS210), sometimes called "Wine Stabilizer”, is added to a finished wine before bottling to reduce the possibility of re-fermentation.

Campden Tablets: Sodium Metabisulfite (SMS) prevents wild yeast, bacteria growth, and oxidation in your wine.

Wine Stabiliser / Potassium Sorbate / Fermentation Stopper

Use this to stop fermentation of your wine and preserve it's state of sweet/dryness. Many people use fermentation stopper in conjunction with Campden Tablets / Sodium Metabisulphite to ensure a stable wine and one which will not begin to re-ferment and pop it's corks!

Back