my 1st AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After doing quite a few kits I decided to do my 1st ever AG wheat beer today. It's just boiling away at the moment. This is what I've used:

6 lbs - Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) (Grain)
6 lbs - Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) (Grain)
3 lbs - Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) (Grain)
3 lbs - Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) (Grain)
1.5 oz - Tettnang [4.5%] - Boil 60 min (Hops)
0.5 oz - Saaz [4.0%] - Boil 15 min (Hops)
1.50 oz - Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5 min) (Misc)
1.00 tbsp - Coriander Seed (Boil 5 min) (Misc)
I've used Munich wheat beer yeast

Beer Profile
Original Gravity: 1.060 (14.7° P)
Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (3.9° P)
Alcohol by Vol: 5.9%
Color SRM: 3.6
Bitterness IBU: 13.4
Recipe Type: all-grain

That was for a 50 litre batch but as I'm only doing a 25 litre, obviously I've halved it.

Exactly what I thought.
I was cacking myself on Sunday last whilst doing my 1st AG brew and that was following Clibit`s excellent guide.

How did it pan out? The brewing, not the cacking, obviously.

I had a blue moon on Friday, wasn't massively impressed. Had no idea what it was other than the badge on the pump said 'American craft beer', which tempted me. Oddly the barlady in the pub said to me ' are you on your lunch break?'
'Yes'
'It's rather strong'
'How strong?'
'About 5.4%'
Wtf? No idea what she was on about

Anyway, good effort on your first AG. The recipe sounds way nicer than the blue moon was. Didn't really have that wheaty-ness I'd expect.

There`s still a bit of bubbling on the airlock,so I`ll keep checking daily.Lost a lot more than expected on the boil and never added any extra.Have about 3.5litres in the jar.

Oddly the barlady in the pub said to me ' are you on your lunch break?'
'Yes'
'It's rather strong'
'How strong?'
'About 5.4%'
Wtf? No idea what she was on about.

Probably just trying to be helpful and tip you off that you're having a stronger-than-normal beer at lunchtime, which could make you drowsy in the afternoon (safety issue if you're operating machinery), and potentially put you over the limit if you were driving.

She was, it was more the fact that I wouldn't class a 5.4% beer as needing a special warning! Also I had no intention of doing any work that afternoon but she wasn't to know that.

I had a blue moon on Friday, wasn't massively impressed. Had no idea what it was other than the badge on the pump said 'American craft beer', which tempted me. Oddly the barlady in the pub said to me ' are you on your lunch break?'
'Yes'
'It's rather strong'
'How strong?'
'About 5.4%'
Wtf? No idea what she was on about

Anyway, good effort on your first AG. The recipe sounds way nicer than the blue moon was. Didn't really have that wheaty-ness I'd expect.

I quite like it, but it is a bit odd, almost too much coriander. Definitely a beer that I can only have one of, before moving on to something else.

Nice of the barlady to look out for you, not sure the landlord would appreciate her trying to put people off buying beer!

Nice of the barlady to look out for you, not sure the landlord would appreciate her trying to put people off buying beer!

Yeah - I thought that. There are quite a few workplaces where a person would be sacked on the spot for turning up after a drink. The cases I am surprised at are the ones where pilots turn up on the drink drive limit.:eek: For them, the limit is so near zero that a couple of over ripe grapes might be a problem. :)

It must be a right bummer to lose a job like that though. No more strutting about with bonny air hostess ladies.

Back