BIAB vs Automated

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have done a few small batch BIABs and will soon upgrade to a 'full' batch size to produce 23L brews.

I saw the Grainfather in a shop recently and I'm intrigued, but aside from the mash circulation stuff, what is the real benefit? It looks like a shiny version of BIAB.

It seems to me that the same amount of effort is required as BIAB, apart from sticking in the wort chiller and mucking about with the gas to get the temp right.

I have costed a BIAB setup in a pot with a temp gauge, tap and hop stopper atop a gas burner to be about a third of the Grainfather; and I don't see the automated version being three times better.

The thing is, I don't actually mind shelling out for an automated machine, but it has to offer good value, rather than having minor benefits for a big investment. Can anyone offer advice either way?

Cheers
Mike

I really really really love my grainfather, it makes brewing incredibly simple. I've never done biab but the grainfather got 85% efficiency on my last brew, not sure how achievable that would be with biab? Also, not having to worry about getting temps right removes the risk of making mistakes and introducing unwanted flavours in your beer. It's not for everyone but if you want something to make your life easier it's a winner imo.

I really really really love my grainfather, it makes brewing incredibly simple. I've never done biab but the grainfather got 85% efficiency on my last brew, not sure how achievable that would be with biab? .

85% efficiency is quite doable but you have to sparge and/or squeeze the bag like it owes you money. I got 83% on my last BIAB. I very much suspect it's far easier to get these high efficiencies with the Grainfather. Having said that getting a massive efficciency isn't that important to me, as long as I hit my OG/brew length + or - 1L i'm happy

85% efficiency is quite doable but you have to sparge and/or squeeze the bag like it owes you money. I got 83% on my last BIAB. I very much suspect it's far easier to get these high efficiencies with the Grainfather. Having said that getting a massive efficciency isn't that important to me, as long as I hit my OG/brew length + or - 1L i'm happy

I agree, I think consistency is much more important and it remains to be seen if the grain father offers that.

Latest posts

Back