first brew in process, when do i add the tablet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wez130

Reaction score
Hi, i bought a Belgian tripel AG kit, it includes everything i need for my first AG brew, malts, candi sugar, hops, yeast and what i assume is a fining tablet, when do i add that as it doesn't say in the instructions? Quick response would be helpful as i'm currently half way through mash.
Thanks.

Fining normally go into the boil 15 mins before the end of the boil what ahve you got? Irish Moss, Whirfloc? Protofloc? My finings usually come in a grainy consistency not a tablet
y

MMmm? rereading your OP it seems your not sure what the tablet is. It could be a campden table? If it is you've missed the boat as a campden tablet is used to dechlorinate your water.

Where did you get the kit

Just looked in my GW book. Whirlfloc and Protofloc can come in tablet form so that probalby what it is. You only need half a tablet for 23L. As mentioned chuck it in 15mins before the end of the boil

Seems a little dodgy to be chucking something into your brew when you don't actually know what it is. If it is just something to help clear the beer, then leaving it out will not actually harm the brew, you'll just end up with beer that's not as clear as you'd get from a pub, but which still tastes fine.
There again if it's something like camden tablets, putting it in at the wrong time will totally screw up your brew.

The tab is in the bag with the yeast. It does look like the copper fining tablets we use at work.

From what i can see, Campden tabs are white.

Here's the tablet i have.

16652393904_82b59a5a7a_b.jpg

I've never seen finings in tablet form as I get mine in granular form - they're slightly brown. I've never seen a campden tablet either for that mater as I filter my water using a BRITA filter

I'm inclined to agree with CWRW666, leaving it out wont do any harm other than having less than clear beer. If you have the facility to cold crash it after the fermentation, you can get a beer crystal clear with cold crashing

Google imaging 'Whirlfloc tablet' your tablet does look very much like whirlfloc though

Disaster!

My Buffalo boiler won't sustain a rolling boil. Keeps cutting out!.

I'm trying to keep the water agitated when the rolling boil stops. Hopefully i'll save it lol

that's a protofloc tablet, add around 15 mins before the boil ends. It helps to clear the beer during fermentation.

Bypassing the thermal switch does the trick but this one only lasted 12 months. :eek:

Yeah I'm going to do that but also with a higher rated thermostat that will cut out at 120 degrees to protect the element.

I don't know how my brew has turned out yet but I boiled for a bit longer to accommodate for the cut outs so I had about an hour of rolling boil on and off. Beer smells fine and looks of I think. I've got it fermenting now just to see, but I'm not expecting it to be right after the boil. I'm just going to use this brew as a learning exercise to see what went wrong and how to do things different next time. I think I may have messed up the sparge too, that took about 1 1/2 hours and I think I might have over sparged (am I supposed to over read the hydrometer so that 1.010 is actually 1.030 at 65 / 70 degrees?)

Anyway, I'll get it right next time and just hope for the best with this one lol.

My boiler will do a rolling boil but to avoid boilovers (and usually failing) I have the thermostat set at 100 so it's on / off all the time. I boil for an hour and a half. And the beer is coming out fine.

I bought a sample of my beer to work today for the brewers to see / try (i work as a chef in a restaurant with a micro brewery), the brewer tried it and seems to think it's fine. So, maybe all is not as bad as i thought. I've since ordered the thermal resistor and 130 degree thermostat thing to mod my buffalo though.

Next brew day, i'm going to make my own up using the minch malt i bought, i may use some cascade hops, what aroma hops would be good with cascade hops?

Cascade is a good aroma hop! Centennial is often paired with it. So is Willamette. And Amarillo.

Update, my beer is clearing now to its intended colour, it 's cloudy still though (which it's bound to be after 3 days fermenting, SG is down to 1.030 from 1.070 so the yeast is working fine, it seems to smell and taste fine so after all my worries, it should probably be ok now :)

Great that it is turning out OK and handy to have a brewer at work to consult.

I was planning to get a Buffalo Boiler. Not so sure now. Where do you get the replacement parts?

I googled that French on the purple packet which turned out to mean "Dried Brewer's Yeast", but then I realised that that wasn't the packet for the tablet...... Dohhhh...

:???:

Latest posts

Back