rhubarb wont stop fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astraman1

Reaction score
ok back story done a rhubarb wine about 7%
fermented to 995
was pink
added crushed ct followed by 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate before my eyes colour drops out to yellow

1 day later still bubbling away slowly
added another 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate this morning and its still slowly bubbling away

why is the yeast not dieing and why the colour change

still going slowly now just cant stop it

anyone ever experience a colour drop like that literally 3-4 seconds pink to yellow/clear

If it's down to 995 and still fermenting, this is a malolactic fermentation, which I have experienced with rhubarb wine, as it contains malic acid. You can let it continue for a couple of weeks, or bottle the wine, resulting in a lightly sparkling one, but store the bottles upright.
Sulphite is a mild bleach, hence the loss of colour.

trouble is i dont like dry wines i want to sweeten it up with apple juice but if i cant stope fermentation its just going to ferment the apple juice

so how else can i kill off the yeast then anybody its still going now ive never had this problem before

ok tony i shall give it a try how long roughly before it stops???? will tomorrow be early enough to tell

well it really doesnt want to stop its still going thanks for the suggestion tho i think im going to try rack it off and add another ct and potassium sorbate 1/2 teaspoon

racked it off and ct and 1/2 teaspoon of ps and its stopped so sweetened it up tastes mmmmmm full rhubarb flavour

Latest posts

Back