Novice query about the boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apatz

Reaction score
I am looking at getting into extract brewing after a few successful kits, and I am uncertain what equipment I need for the boil. I have been looking at what are effectively "tea urns", many of which have a feature it comes to the boil, and then switches to a "keep warm" facility.

Will this do the job? Alternatively, is it the boil that is the important element, and the hops need to be on a constant boil?

Any advice gratefully received!

If you're just going to do extract brewing you do not necessarily need to do a full volume boil, the bigger the boil the better.

What sort of lenght brews are you planning? (23 litre?)
And are you planning on possibly moving to AG or martial mashing at any point?

I should also add yes you need a rolling boil

Yes, I am looking at 23-25 litre volume. And I think it's highly unlikely I will be moving on to AG, at least for the foreseeable future

I was going to say if you have a large pot you can do an extract brew in that and top up.. If you can do a fuller volume the better but 10-15 litre boil then top up works fine for extract.. You can also do something called late additions where you add only half the extract to the boil and the second half in the last 5 mins or so. This helps hop utilisation apparently.

This may not be the route you want to go for and just go for a full boiler but it is an option you may want to consider.

Thanks, that's interesting.

I am a bit puzzled though - what exactly do you mean by the top-up method? I have not come across that before. How does that work?

Just means you boil less water than you need, and top up the FV with cold,water to make up to the required amount.

Latest posts

Back