Almost put off by Horrid Winebuddy Cab Sauv, want to try wnother make

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floinksy

Reaction score
Hi
As above, I tried the 6 bottle Winebuddy Cab Sauv kit, it was undrinkable due to the awful chemically cherryish smell.

Does anyone have a better, maybe more expensive 6 bottle red wine kit to recommend.
I would really like to try again. Cant waste the equipment I have bought.

Thanks

Trying to make red wine from a cheap 6 bottle kit is not the best way to start! If you want to make reasonably good red wine from a kit then you need to scale up to 30 bottle kits that start at £30. These kits contain considerably higher proportions of grape juice concentrate.

I must stop skipping through posts, ignore the second part of my post as you cannot make red wine from supermarket juice. :oops:

Sadly the winebuddy reds are all quite bad in my experience even with extensive modification so don't be to hard on yourself.

If you must do a 6 bottle kit and want to stick with Cab Sav try Beaverdale or
California Connoisseur both are around the £12 mark and should not disappoint.

As already stated the 30 bottle kits are far better value. Harris Cab Sav and Cellar 7 are both around the £30 mark and are very nice once aged for a while.

Dont give up its fun, try again with a mid range kit you wont be sorry.

I made a lovely Beaverdale Barolo that was probably my best red i have ever done not expensive really good results
Steve

Thank you so much for your replies.

I will try again!!

Will keep you updated. Cheers.

Went to local home-brew shop and bought California connoisseur merlot kit.
I am immediately impressed as there is about 10 times the amount of juice as wine buddy kit.

so here's hoping..........

Hello,
Well its been about 4 weeks since I started my second kit and I bottled up my Merlot today.
Just had to have a taste tonight. It's drinkable which is a massive improvement on the Winebuddy kit.
I will let it mature now though as its not got a lot of taste. So hopefully after 3 or 4 months it will be even better!

Thanks to all again for your advice.

I will be going to my homebrew shop tomorrow to buy another kit! YAY!

Apart from being better value, a 30 bottle kit takes just as long to make and lasts almost twice as long!

I'm sure that this truism is something I read in the books that CJJ Berry (or maybe even Ben Turner) wrote ages ago and that I used to own back in the 1980's. Always was, then and certainly has been now, my motto ever since getting back into HB 20 months ago.

Hi Floinksy,

Try the 'Make Your Own' red wine kit from The Range, it might be their own label but it really is a good one and for £25 it's still under £1 a bottle. Made loads of them always been good.

Latest posts

Back