Anyone done a grain steep in COLD water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done this. The purpose is to extract colour from the grains rather than roast flavour. You will get some roastiness but much less than hot steeping.

the steep is 24 hours in a fridge before the boil, so I wondered what that fetched to the table!

The end-to-end brew process is lengthened but the main brewday would be shorter I suppose?

Not much shorter if at all. You can do a hot steep in the water as you're heating it up to do the boil. Or in a separate small pan while the water is heating up.

Not much shorter if at all. You can do a hot steep in the water as you're heating it up to do the boil. Or in a separate small pan while the water is heating up.

Ah, I only have one suitable pot available, I'm at the limit of allowed equipment & kitchen disruption caused by brewing other wise I'd only be able to brew 2 or 3 times a year.:sad:

I still have to see if I could fit the pot into the fridge so will probably stick to a normal hot water steep.

You can use a standard kitchen pan to steep some flavour grains, in 2 or 3 litres of water.

Latest posts

Back