Digital Thermometer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawanrob

Reaction score
Hi, bit of guidance please, I'm looking into buying a budget thermometer for home brewing, I have a glass thermometer and a jam/sugar type thermometer for measuring liquid but I would like to upgrade to something digital, I have found this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7JTU8G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

does any have one? or recommend another, is this suitable?

thank you

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an STC-1000 in conjunction with a brew belt to keep my brew at constant temperature. Total cost is about £30 but it's simple to use and reliable. You have to do a bit of wiring as part of the set up, but nothing too arduous.

I got the STC-1000 off ebay for £10 or so, and the brew belt was about £20 off Amazon.

When I got mine I checked it in a glass of water with ice cubes in it (don't let it touch any cubes) and in the steam from a boiling kettle. Less than 0.2°c from what I would have expected. Worth doing though so you can make adjustments if necessary.

I've just ordered one of the one manse suggested simply because of the right budget I'm on

Thanks Manse, ordered and saved a lot of money, Toonah will look at that set-up as I become more confident

Regards

Just bought one because it's only £1.99.

This isn't going to be like the 99p chinese syphon debacle is it? :?

If it is at least you'll get two watch batteries out of it....seriously though, I've had mine over a year and no dramas.

had about 6 chinese jobies and they've all gone blank on me at crucial times or say it's 140c when its 20c. but they were 99p . mite stop cheap skating and throw another quid at it and see how i get on.got to be in to win it.

Got mine in the post today. Tested it for accuracy and in a pint of water and ice (followed some youtube instructions on what to do) and it's 1.8C out. Not a problem as now that I know that I can just adjust for it. The disturbing thing is though, whilst I was doing the new digital one I did my big analogue probe one at the same time - it's 3C out :-o. I've been using it for about two years now and never tested it for accuracy - no wonder my beers are so chewy :-D

Latest posts

Back