Pressure barrel caps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toonahfish

Reaction score
This question has probably been addressed before and apologies if this is a repeat, but I couldn't find it through the search. Anyway, I have two caps for my pressure barrel. One has a valve for the CO2 bulbs and the other looks like a little plastic plug. By doing some reading around, am I right in saying that they both have a pressure release system. Presumably they allow sufficient pressure to carbonate beer, but not too much for the barrel to explode? With that in mind, can one do the primary fermentation in the pressure barrel and then leave it to condition in the barrel without having to transfer the beer anywhere? If the pressure got too much it'd just release some gas. Also, if they both have a pressure release system, what is the point in the non-gas cylinder valve type of cap?

That's the principle, in practice they don't work very well though. They are just an elastic band around a hole. In my experience something else like the tap or cap seal fails, or even the pressure barrel can split long before the PRV works.

You can't really ferment and condition in the same vessel, it would be difficult to clean the krausen marks from inside a PB and you want to get the beer off the trub and into another vessel to clear, although such all in one vessels do exist.

The gas cylinder caps are to inject CO2

Latest posts

Back