Have I destroyed my 1st AG 1 Gallon?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawanrob

Reaction score
So bottled my 1 Gallon AG today (thanks to clibits excellent how to) the problem is I think I ruined it on the last hurdle:sad: I syphoned into bottle bucket but the beer ran through my syphon with lots of bubbles and I couldnt find a way to stop it, I stopped the syphon and started it again but it still didnt flow as I would expect:mad: I know that it has introduced oxygen and understand if this beer is ruined. I am concerned as I have 23ltrs of festival stag coming up for bottling and I dont want the same issue, any ideas what I have done wrong? I had the primary fv at a higher level than bottle bucket! Is the length of the tube an issue? Any advice appreciated.

I still bottled and got 11 bottles from 5.75ltrs but hope the taste wont be to nasty:-|

thanks

Well there is a good chance it will be okay, when you say it didn't flow as you would expect what do you mean??

Did you get trub or something stuck on the cane?

If you're always a bit nervous about the siphon practise on water.

Well there is a good chance it will be okay, when you say it didn't flow as you would expect what do you mean??

Did you get trub or something stuck on the cane?

If you're always a bit nervous about the siphon practise on water.

It didnt flow smooth, it was basically a tube with lots of bubbles which I knew was wrong, I think my issue was that the end of my tube wasnt held under the rising beer and air got in from the end which backed up, I am very nervous regarding my next syphon so will practice with water, no trub or anything in the cane. Will be very cautious going forward.

oxygen causes staling, how long before this starts? Will the bottles condition or not?

thanks

I think don't worry. If the exit polls are right we've got much greater problems to worry about! :D

It'll be fine, I'm sure. Is it a syphon with a red tube by any chance?

I think don't worry. If the exit polls are right we've got much greater problems to worry about! :D

It'll be fine, I'm sure. Is it a syphon with a red tube by any chance?

Spot on, it did have a red tube and I bought clear tube to replace so I could see the beer, is it a known problem with this syphon, Im getting myself an auto-syphon soon, oh yes the exit poll you could be right

Looks like I may have got away with it, its been bottled for 2 weeks and tonight I sampled a bottle and it was ok, no off flavours :)

IMG_20150522_204153(1).jpg

Back