Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Really wanted to try out this hop as it gets rave reviews, so I made this today:-

1.5kg Maris Otter
1.0kg Light DME
0.5kg Caramalt
0.125kg Crystal Medium

10g NS 45min
20g NS 20min
20g NS 5min
40g NS 0min
60g NS 5 day dry hop

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

20Ltr
OG 1037
IBU 37
SRM 7

Rehydrated US-05 and pitched at 22c

Actually hit 1042 OG, which is about 70% I think. Clibit suggested a finer crush on the grain. I don't yet have a grain mill, but I used a pestle & mortar, which obviously did the trick. Gave it a stir halfway through the mash too, so not much more effort to improve from the 60% of last time.

I also discovered this morning that I have more empty bottles than I thought, so should be ok to bottle in two weeks time.

Good mashing! Really looking forward to hearing how this one turns out. :thumb:

Thanks clibit and for the advice, although I will have to get a mill as it took about 20 min to crush them finer by hand! I did give the grain bag a little squeeze as well, which I didn't do last time.

Looking forward to this too, so will report back!

Down to 1011 today, so nearly done I think. There's me concerned the weather might get warm again, but today the FV has dropped down to 19c, the lowest I've seen it for any brew! I did the obligatory taste test, but it's still to yeasty to really tell. The bit of crystal has given it a nice colour though. Will dry hop on Monday.

Dry hopped yesterday. Might try and bottle fri night as I have an impromptu box of goodies on the way for a Saturday brew day, but won't have time to do both.

Bottled this, this morning. Smells amazing and definitely the best smelling beer I've made so far. If it tastes as good as it smells, I might have a new favourite hop.

Tried a couple of these last night, think this is my best beer yet. Really hoppy, without being ott.

Not really sure how else to describe it, but I really like this hop!

Tried a couple of these last night, think this is my best beer yet. Really hoppy, without being ott.

Not really sure how else to describe it, but I really like this hop!

It has a really distinctive taste, I couldn't compare it to anything either. I'm not a huge fan myself although I've only knowingly tried it a couple of times.

It has a really distinctive taste, I couldn't compare it to anything either. I'm not a huge fan myself although I've only knowingly tried it a couple of times.

I know what you mean. I'm sure I've had it before, not sure what in though, but I do recognise the flavour.

Are there any beers out there that primarily use nelson sauvin? Id really like to see what the attraction is as ive never knowingly drank a beer with this hop at the forefront. I am a keen citra single hop beer man though. Having said that im just an all round hop head i think :smile:

Are there any beers out there that primarily use nelson sauvin? Id really like to see what the attraction is as ive never knowingly drank a beer with this hop at the forefront. I am a keen citra single hop beer man though. Having said that im just an all round hop head i think :smile:

If you're a hop head, I reckon you'll like it.

Try a 5ltr batch, then you won't have to worry if you're not so keen. Or you might kick yourself for not making more!

Back