Elderflower has arrived!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesw

Reaction score
ALERT!!!
To all the keen foragers and elderflower flavour enthusiasts, I spotted my first open heads of elderflower today! (in bristol area, so further north may be delayed).

I would say in a week or two they will start to come into good bloom, enough to collect easily, and remember, always collect in the morning when they are freshly opened to they have the most nectar (otherwise the insects will take their fill).
and remember to leave plenty to allow for healthy continuation of the plant and enough for the latter elderberry production!

The flowers are easily picked from the green stems using a fork (dont inlcude any green as it tastes horrible and contains cyanide (well a cyanide-inducing glycoside which when broken down produces cyanide).

(admin, if this is best suited in a different thread, feel free to move)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying elderflower champagne this year and have been collecting Prosecco bottles.

Might be another couple of weeks yet here in the 'frozen North' - it was only 8*C last night when I got in from work!!!

I'd get some if I knew of some growing round my way. I'm more likely to come across some nelson sauvin hops. Ho ho.

ALERT!!!
To all the keen foragers and elderflower flavour enthusiasts, I spotted my first open heads of elderflower today! (in bristol area, so further north may be delayed).

I would say in a week or two they will start to come into good bloom, enough to collect easily, and remember, always collect in the morning when they are freshly opened to they have the most nectar (otherwise the insects will take their fill).
and remember to leave plenty to allow for healthy continuation of the plant and enough for the latter elderberry production!

The flowers are easily picked from the green stems using a fork (dont inlcude any green as it tastes horrible and contains cyanide (well a cyanide-inducing glycoside which when broken down produces cyanide).

Erm am a bit worried now as I have recently added an elderflower tea to my brew. The smallest of stems left towards the flower infused in boiling water....

nothing really to worry about if they are that small... would only be small quantities and if you boiled them, they might denature.
apple pips etc have the same compound, but in such small amounts that its probably fine! you just wouldnt want to put the whole flower head with the adjoining green stems in or it might make you feel a bit ill.

nothing really to worry about if they are that small... would only be small quantities and if you boiled them, they might denature.
apple pips etc have the same compound, but in such small amounts that its probably fine! you just wouldnt want to put the whole flower head with the adjoining green stems in or it might make you feel a bit ill.

Forty years ago, I spent ages picking a stack of elderberries to make wine. It was a fair investment in time when I was very busy. I had high hopes, but in ignorance, I left the stems on the berries when I made the wine. It was disgustingly bitter and I had to pour away the demijohns. I had about five gallons of it. I had no idea it could be metabolised into cyanide..... :nah:

its just a warning, im sure youd have to leave the whole heads in and drink a lot to be dangerous, but a bit might make you feel ill (and probably accounts for the bitter flavour). if in doubt, leave the green bits out.

Latest posts

Back