The Essex Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very much, Been up and running a week so plenty more work to do! Keep up the good work also.

Great looking blog Kyle. Do re-post your mild recipe in the recipe forum, we need quality recipes! And mild is a much under rated and under brewed beer style.

Must admit to some trepidation as I clicked the link the other day as you never know what you are going to get with a blog but I enjoyed it, enough to read it on an old blackberry bold on a train.

So you're Mr. Mild, in my household I'm Mr. Grumpy :-).

Hadn't seriously contemplated doing a mild until after reading your blog.

Cheers Twostage,

I do enjoy a drop of Mild myself and think it's a real shame that more people don't make it, at home or commercially, if I've encouraged you to have a go, it's a good day!

Cheers.

Must admit to some trepidation as I clicked the link the other day as you never know what you are going to get with a blog but I enjoyed it, enough to read it on an old blackberry bold on a train.

They should have called them BOGS as most of them are full of s**t, this one does not fall into that category. :hat:

Right, I've succumbed. Tomorrow's brew is the 1983 mild. Going to dive in and do 20 litres. I've got all the ingredients apart from :-

Molasses to make the Invert no. 3 - going to holland and barrett tomorrow.

Essex yeast, which is a quandary. In Greg Hugh's book he says use US 05 as a substitute which I have. But the style is for low attenuation and fruity which is more like the Newcastle dark ale which I have a bit of but not enough for 20 odd litres. Interestingly the essex yeast can't digest maltotrioise (I'm sure I read somewhere) and neither can fermentis F2 bottling yeast. So I might try mixing the Newcastle and F2.

I'm not sure at this point I'll do the brewer's caramel. I'll try making it but I don't want to write off a pan.

One thing I can't find is when to add the Invert. At the start of boil or end. My instinct is towards the end.

Glad to hear you've succumbed :thumb:

That calculator for the Invert Syrup is a gem, what I did was pour the Golden Syrup into a 1 litre measuring jug on the scales, pour out what I needed and then sit it in a bowl of just boiled water from the kettle, allow a few minutes to heat up then pop back on the scales and add the molasses to the ratio required, then 5 minutes before it was needed, add 750ml of wort to it and mix it in then pour into the copper.

I added mine at 15 minutes from the end.

Essex Yeast is only available January and February of the year but a good solid liquid substitute is WLP002/005 and Wyeast 1335.

As for dry I doubt you will find one similar but your best bet is a dark ale yeast, it's main trick is to accentuate the malt aroma but the hop flavour.

Works really well all of their beers.

As for the Brewers Caramel is isn't a compulsory ingredient to do the beer, it is purely a colouring agent. If you aren't fussy then you can leave it out, it is however, available from Hop & Grape in a 250ml Bottle. Bout 7 - 8 pound if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Your water is hard down there isn't it :eek:

Went to the eswater website to check it out and download the water quality report. I need to put a few grams of every kind of salt I have (gypsum etc.) to make morrisons shepley spring match the profile.

Hi,

The water here is indeed hard but as of yet I have no uncovered any information about Ridley's water treatment profiles. My advice would be just to use a local water water report and the standard set of ppm limits for the style.

Cheers

Time was against me today so I've deferred until Tuesday evening. Gave me a bit more time to look at the water profile. The water quality report doesn't give Calcium or Magnesium, just the total hardness expressed as Calcium. Did some googling and found a few people frustrated by this too, then discovered a document about fluoridation that mentioned that there is a typical ratio of 1:5 for Magnesium to Calcium. I checked a few bottled waters and it appears to be right so I could estimate them. In it's untreated state it is best suited to dark beers around 40-50 EBC. So they must have been softening it to brew lighter coloured beers. So I'll back off the salts a bit for this brew.

That's some good detective work there.

What I do know is the majority of the beers they brewed were in the 30 EBC range and then coloured with Brewers caramel to make the EBC in excess of 100.

I don't know it that is any use to you?

That's some good detective work there.

What I do know is the majority of the beers they brewed were in the 30 EBC range and then coloured with Brewers caramel to make the EBC in excess of 100.

I don't know it that is any use to you?

I've worked out the additions that are OK for 28-38 EBC for both Morrisons and Tescos 5 litre bottled water. So I should be OK to go.

Looking forward to having a 25 litre FV bubbling away :)

If you have a look at my blog I recently found the mash temperatures and sparge temperatures whilst exploring the brewery.

Good luck with the brew and please report back on how the water treatment goes!

Cheers

If you have a look at my blog I recently found the mash temperatures and sparge temperatures whilst exploring the brewery.

Good luck with the brew and please report back on how the water treatment goes!

Cheers

Yes, I spotted that. It seemed that if they reduced the sparge temp as they increased the mash temp, assuming the labels were linked i.e. :-

mash 68, sparge 75.5
mash 70, sparge 72.2
mash 74, sparge 68.4

and yes, I'll report back.

Latest posts

Back