Another Tesco Sale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been up since 5 with bubba but this has made my morning. Time to stock up. Best get my order in before swmbo notices ;)

Another six ordered tonight. Just in time, down to my last few from the last sale. Or is it the one before that? Tesco have done these offers like clockwork for about a year or so.

The Coopers yeast is pretty good and the kits make a brilliant addition to a small batch of AG. Just add the one that is most compatible with what you are brewing and you end with 5 galls of great beer with a Partial Mash that costs mainly time playing with beer and matching recipes. :thumb:

looks like sale is still on.

Or on again, depending on how you view Tesco's odd looking strategy for the HB section of their offer. Since I have already more cans in the garage than I can really justify, I am not interested in explaining to SWMBO why I am getting any more.

The marketing is just wierd. The premium kits are now marketed at a price that exceeds the sum of the parts. Like selling 1L of milk for 50p and 2L at £1.05, to learn 'em for being able to afford 2L.

It's 25% off again and 1 can kits from £7.50 all the way up to £10 for the Coopers Kits. These take my eye, as this is what I am doing at the moment - a small mash using a 15L pot and a kit. Makes great beer.

If you do it this way, then the 1.8kg John Bull kits at £9 looks particularly good, especially the bittered ones, which will not really need a full 1hr boil.

Hat's off to my mentor, clibit, once again:hat:

I am doing at the moment - a small mash using a 15L pot and a kit. Makes great beer.:hat:

I have just got hold of a couple of 18ish litre stock pots but can't seam to build up the courage to do a small or mini mash, I have a couple of John Bull kits from the Tesco sale Traditional English/Best Bitter. I keep looking at these controlled with a STC1000 for the mashing process (BIAB) but wonder if all the faffing around is worth it and will it produce anything that is way above and beyond kits with DME, Brew Enhancer and hop additions.

I have just got hold of a couple of 18ish litre stock pots but can't seam to build up the courage to do a small or mini mash, I have a couple of John Bull kits from the Tesco sale Traditional English/Best Bitter. I keep looking at these controlled with a STC1000 for the mashing process (BIAB) but wonder if all the faffing around is worth it and will it produce anything that is way above and beyond kits with DME, Brew Enhancer and hop additions.

It is worth the faffing. Even 1.5kg of grains mashed, boiled with hops, cooled and added to a kit makes a difference. Added to a 2 can kit, this small mash is amazing.

The guidelines are in the "How to Guides". There are even some rambling posts of my own :D

Move closerto the dark side!

Collected another two Cooper's kits at £10 each yesterday. Hell of a bargain at that price. I bought Stout and English bitter. I've done the Eng bitter a few times as a small beer brew with minimal additional fermentables. Comes out great in a keg. Can plus 125grams of Muntons BE. 1025OG, 1008 FG, about 2.5% ABV. Very refreshing and a nice bitter taste. Drink all you like and no bad effects. Head lasts right to bottom of the glass about 1cm thick. Lovely.

Or on again, depending on how you view Tesco's odd looking strategy for the HB section of their offer. Since I have already more cans in the garage than I can really justify, I am not interested in explaining to SWMBO why I am getting any more.

The marketing is just wierd. The premium kits are now marketed at a price that exceeds the sum of the parts. Like selling 1L of milk for 50p and 2L at £1.05, to learn 'em for being able to afford 2L.

It's 25% off again and 1 can kits from £7.50 all the way up to £10 for the Coopers Kits. These take my eye, as this is what I am doing at the moment - a small mash using a 15L pot and a kit. Makes great beer.

If you do it this way, then the 1.8kg John Bull kits at £9 looks particularly good, especially the bittered ones, which will not really need a full 1hr boil.

Hat's off to my mentor, clibit, once again:hat:

I buy the WineBuddy Sav Blank 30 bottle kits and get them delivered using click and collect for free, that is a good saving.

WAS £22.50
£16.50
Save £6.00

It is worth the faffing. Even 1.5kg of grains mashed, boiled with hops, cooled and added to a kit makes a difference. Added to a 2 can kit, this small mash is amazing.

The guidelines are in the "How to Guides". There are even some rambling posts of my own :D

Move closerto the dark side!

So say I was to replace 1kg DME/Enhancer what weight of grain would be required?

So say I was to replace 1kg DME/Enhancer what weight of grain would be required?

Roughly 1.5kg of base malt grains and you can add other grains for body, like crystal malt. Even if it goes a bit wonky and you don't get as much sugar from a first try, Mr Cube from T&L comes to the rescue. It will still be worth it.

You must boil all the wort from a mash, or a steep, so it makes sense to add some hops and boil for 30 mins as a sort of minimum.

Good luck, Smiley, an 18L pot is a brilliant investment in beer quality. Use it soon, then use it wisely.

Collected another two Cooper's kits at £10 each yesterday. Hell of a bargain at that price. I bought Stout and English bitter. I've done the Eng bitter a few times as a small beer brew with minimal additional fermentables. Comes out great in a keg. Can plus 125grams of Muntons BE. 1025OG, 1008 FG, about 2.5% ABV. Very refreshing and a nice bitter taste. Drink all you like and no bad effects. Head lasts right to bottom of the glass about 1cm thick. Lovely.

I have to agree with you there Tony, I've done the Coopers English Bitter twice now. It's very drinkable very early but if left then it conditions into a lovely beer with a deep reddish colour and good head retention. I find it's a great platform for hop additions be they during the brew or dry hopped when fermentation has finished. Either way, for £10, nearly the price of two pints in the city it can't be beat.

Either way, for £10, nearly the price of two pints in the city it can't be beat.

You can say that again Larry - I have two cans of it in my filing cabinet come home brew supplies store. :) Brewed light it costs about 25p a pint and at 2.5% - 3% ABV it goes down a treat any time of day. It puts me in mind of that saying -

"Beer is so much more than a great breakfast drink."

:)

Not really - I don't drink it before mid day, but I often have a half of it with my lunch.

Back