Hello and thank you :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntsekker

Reaction score
Just a quick hello and a thank you to all for posting such great advice and help threads for a newbie like myself. I am firmly hooked now thanks to your efforts!

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago after lurking on here and gaining an initial understanding of what's what... I started off by brewing a slight variation on a Coopers Stout kit, with added fuggles pellets & some S04 yeast - all in the kitchen using a Coopers Starter Kit... went very well considering my inexperience! It's all bottled and sat conditioning now.

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020150522%20095331%205.jpg

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020150522%20095331%204.jpg

This week I finished building a ferm freezer in the garage for the second brew (Razorback IPA) which I've brewed short to 19L and stuck in a carboy.
I am well pleased with myself for doing this so quickly :mrgreen: And thanks to the excellent write ups here on the forum I didn't kill myself (or anyone else) in the process!

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020150522%20095330.jpg

Click for video of Brew #2 after 48hrs

I am already thinking about how to move to BIAB later this year and maybe even an AG setup if I'm given the all clear by the wife (any tips on handling SWMBO in that regard appreciated!)

So thanks again for the great forum and all of the help, its a daily read for me now!

I'm going back out to the garage now to watch brew #2 some more :cheers:

That sounds like a great start to your brewing addiction, huntsekker! Just for clarity, BIAB is an AG set up. Just a slightly different way of doing the same thing. And a BIAB set up can be converted to a 3 vessel set up. You just need to add a mash tun and something to heat the mash and sparge water. As you're no doubt aware. If I use the mash tun I just collect the wort in a FV and return it to the boiling kettle where the water was heated, so I've a two vessel system plus a big bucket!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

As you have a blow off tube attached i would blank the hole where you have the airlock so there is no danger of anything leaving the carboy coming through it and making a mess of your fridge.

That sounds like a great start to your brewing addiction, huntsekker! Just for clarity, BIAB is an AG set up. Just a slightly different way of doing the same thing. And a BIAB set up can be converted to a 3 vessel set up. You just need to add a mash tun and something to heat the mash and sparge water. As you're no doubt aware. If I use the mash tun I just collect the wort in a FV and return it to the boiling kettle where the water was heated, so I've a two vessel system plus a big bucket!

Ah I see, then BIAB kit does not preclude 3-vessel? I could go down the route of BIAB and add to that kit later to get to 3-vessel.... I was thinking that they were separate paths rather than a progression.

TY!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

As you have a blow off tube attached i would blank the hole where you have the airlock so there is no danger of anything leaving the carboy coming through it and making a mess of your fridge.

Ah right of course! Either one is fine but not both required at the same time... obvious now you say it lol... I was going to dump the BO tube anyway after a few days... but I will go and modify now then switch back to the airlock once the madness has subsided a bit :)

Thanks both for the help!! :cheers:

They can be be separate paths, or a progression. Some people have progressed from 3 vessel to BIAB, and shed some equipment...

I am already thinking about how to move to BIAB later this year and maybe even an AG setup if I'm given the all clear by the wife (any tips on handling SWMBO in that regard appreciated!)

Just keep taking over the kitchen with your bubbling cauldron, mugs of re-hydrating yeast, sink full of water ("no you can't use the sink yet, my wort is still 45 degrees") etc. and you'll soon be ejected to the shed with your shiney new kit.
:whistle:

Latest posts

Back