Home Brew Company American Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads_Ale

Crafty Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the AG kit that I won in the recent raffle (thanks to all involved) and today is brew day.

It will be a bit of an odd brew day as I intend to follow the instructions to the letter and not add any extra ingredients. I will be doing my first batch sparge (normally fly sparge) and will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I will try and remember to take some photos as I go and post later.

First comment is that instructions are fine but will need to check with the HBC website to see what the malt and hops are.

OK here we go

Ingredients unpacked (some may spot that I am missing a pack of hops which I found later whilst adding the malt to the mash tun).

DSCF5112.jpg

Waiting for the mash liquor to cool down.

DSCF5114.jpg

Adding the grains

DSCF5115.jpg

Mash temp just right

DSCF5117.jpg

Mash tun not designed for batch sparge method and 6kg of grain

DSCF5118.jpg

Draining the wort. First runnings

DSCF5119.jpg

Filling the boiler

DSCF5122.jpg

Adding the first load of hops

DSCF5124.jpg

Cooling down with home made counterflow cooler

DSCF5125.jpg

Spot on 23litres in the FV at 1060

DSCF5128.jpg

All in all a good brewday and I managed to resist deviating from the instructions. Beer now fermenting nicely.

Great pics Dads! Thanks, I'm looking forward to your tasting report!

I will be very interested how this turns out as did my own DIPA a week before so keen to see how they compare.

Low bottle stocks mean I have already tapped into the DIPA in the corny Keg :whistle::thumb:

Like your fat little FV. If buddha was reincarnated as an FV, thats what he'd look like. Where did you get it?

I got it from the Home Brew Shop in Aldershot

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...nter_with_Large_Lid_and_Tap.html#.VWLbgGnbKM8

They do them in several sizes, mine is the 30litre one.

Here is a better photo

DSCF5129.jpg

I find them very good and use the tap to take gravity readings. You can fill with about 28 litres in as long as the fermentation is not too wild. I have had a couple of spill overs with dark beers that seem to be a bit more lively. Luckily the design of the lid meant it was all contained and just needed mopping up.

Right update time.

Thursday night was dry hopping night. Foil pack of centennial pellet hops in a tea bag.

DSCF5130.jpg

Not used hop pellets before but followed the instructions and steeped in some boiling water for 15mins

DSCF5131.jpg

Then dumped into FV

Today was bottling day. The beer looks good as is lovely and clear

DSCF5132.jpg

Looks good and tastes good. Gravity at 1010 so looking at 6.5% ish. Certainly tastes strong :-)

DSCF5134.jpg

Bottling bucket and bottling chair set up with plentiful supply of bottles

DSCF5135.jpg

And finally 39 bottles filled

DSCF5136.jpg

Now I just have to try and resist trying them too early :-D

This will be up for a taste test against my own recipe DIPA

DSCF5138.jpg

It has a lot to live up to as my version is incredibly Moorish and it is too easy to forget it is over 6% ABV.

I have thoroughly enjoyed making this kit and it has thrown in a few curved balls. I have not tried a 60 min boil before (always used 90 mins) and have not used pellet hops before. The problem with the pellets is finding something to contain them as my usual stainless tea ball didn't.

Amazing pics and write-up! I'm just off to the man cave to measure the inside of my fermentation chamber - with a bit of luck I might be able to get two of those fv's in. Happy days if I can!!

Mine is obviously the other thread not Dads but I did my dry hop Thursday with the intention of botttling tonight, as It was I bottled last night.

I would say 3-5 days..before bottling

Lovely, i droped the dry hops in mine on Sunday and was looking to bottle on Thu/Fri Which sounds about right!

Had a taste on sunday... WOW!

let me know if you need any measurements..:thumb:
Got them from the link you gave - depth of chamber too small by 2cm! However, if I can get the plastic off the fridge door but leave the seal intact....some adapterizationing coming up I suspect!

Got them from the link you gave - depth of chamber too small by 2cm! However, if I can get the plastic off the fridge door but leave the seal intact....some adapterizationing coming up I suspect!

Just measured mine and without the airlock it is 33.5cm to the top of the locking ring.
With the airlock it is 45cm.

This is different to the measurement on the link.

Have now re looked at you post and will now measure the diameter :oops:

Which is 39cm.

My fridge is 48cm wide, 39 cm deep (before I improvise, adapt and overcome), and 83cm tall. Some serious measuring coming up...thanks for getting the measurements! I wonder if they could fit the airlocks off-centre for me? I'll email them if the measurements say yes.

My fridge is 48cm wide, 39 cm deep (before I improvise, adapt and overcome), and 83cm tall. Some serious measuring coming up...thanks for getting the measurements! I wonder if they could fit the airlocks off-centre for me? I'll email them if the measurements say yes.

The diameter on mine is 39cm although there may be some variation.

The airlock fits to a prefabricated thread. But I think they could be reduced in height with a bit of fettling. There is also a blanking cap for the airlock so you could add your own.

Latest posts

Back