American IRA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
American IRA (India Red Ale!)
This a maltyIPA with high-ish bitterness - you could stretch the IBUs to 60 if you like plenty of bitterness. You could also raise the OG to 1055 or 1060.
Columbus/Zeus is a good hop for this - but so are Simcoe, Chinook, Bravo, Apollo, Centennial, Cluster - bittering hops from the USA that will cut through the crystal malt. Admiral might work well, as an English alternative. You could also blend two or three of these hops, and perhaps chuck in some Amarillo late, if you fancy that.

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 17.6
Bitterness (IBU): 52.4

Grain Bill
----------------
1.600 kg Maris Otter Malt (74.25%)
0.230 kg Wheat Malt (10.67%)
0.100 kg Crystal 120 (4.64%)
0.100 kg Crystal 40 (4.64%)
0.100 kg Crystal Rye (4.64%)
0.025 kg Roasted Barley (1.16%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Columbus Leaf (17.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Columbus Leaf (17.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g Columbus Leaf (17.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.5 g/L)

Mash at 67°C for 75 Minutes.
Ferment at 18-20°C with Safale US-05

I brewed up this recipe this evening. I've used Mosaic as a bittering hop, and I think I'll dry hop it with Amarillo, unless anyone has any negative experience of those two as a combination?

Really enjoyed this, and I'm planning on a 23 litre batch this evening. I'm out of US-05, do you think it's worth holding on till I can get some or would US-O4 or a Gervin Ale Yeast do a similar job?

All done, hit target, got about 9.5 litres with hop losses. Looking forward to this smells great already!

2015-10-18 16.04.40.jpg

Looking forward to hearing how this works out.

Checked up on this today fermented out to 1.009 and nice and clear already will dry hop later in the week. Taste test very promising! Piney hops with fruit in the aroma, lots of malt flavour and a bitter dry finish and that's after only a week :thumb:

How long would you advise conditioning this one for Clibit?

Checked up on this today fermented out to 1.009 and nice and clear already will dry hop later in the week. Taste test very promising! Piney hops with fruit in the aroma, lots of malt flavour and a bitter dry finish and that's after only a week :thumb:

How long would you advise conditioning this one for Clibit?

Good question. In my experience it keeps improving with age. The oldest bottle of this that I have drunk was possibly the best beer I've ever drunk. I think it took 2 to 3 months to really hit its stride. But put some in small bottles if you can, try one after a month, then every two weeks until it's in top condition.

Bottled it last night and it was tasting pretty special already, this is the first time I have dry hopped with simcoe and WOW there was some great flavour there, really nice passionfruit/tropical notes :D

I'm going to make a red ale very soon, need to decide what hops to use - wil be a choice of one or more from Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe. Might split a bit off and try Admiral in it. See if it can match the bitter resin of those three.

Back