Beer finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remfan

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm still new to this, and i'm only making "Wilko's Own", which I am more than happy with, as they've tasted really good *hic.
Anyway... I am brewing a pilsner, and have followed the instructions as normal. It was at the end of the fermentation period that i have an issue. It stopped bubbling, so I left it a day before adding the beer finings (stirring gently as per inst.). It has started to bubble again :confused:. Not as much as before (4 gurgles in 10 sec.) Now Gurgles every now and again. Now it says wait 2 days after the Beer Finings have been added before bottling. If it's still gurgling (albeit, just) am I ok to bottle as per instruction?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Have you got a hydrometer? It'd be a good idea to get one if you haven't got one (they are literally a few quids). If you take measurements with your hydrometer one day then another and find it reads the same, fermentation has stopped, so it'll be a good time to bottle. If the readings are different, your pils is still brewing, so you'll need to hold on a bit until the readings stabilise. Essentially bubbles aren't always the result of fermentation.

Ive done alot of wilko kits myself and have never used finings in any beer.
I ferment for two weeks then bottle, then two weeks warm and there always crystal clear before the move to the shed.
I find beer clears well on its own.

Hi Guys

I'm still new to this, and i'm only making "Wilko's Own", which I am more than happy with, as they've tasted really good *hic.
Anyway... I am brewing a pilsner, and have followed the instructions as normal. It was at the end of the fermentation period that i have an issue. It stopped bubbling, so I left it a day before adding the beer finings (stirring gently as per inst.). It has started to bubble again :confused:. Not as much as before (4 gurgles in 10 sec.) Now Gurgles every now and again. Now it says wait 2 days after the Beer Finings have been added before bottling. If it's still gurgling (albeit, just) am I ok to bottle as per instruction?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Sounds like stirring in the the finings has 'roused the yeast' and kicked them back into life again. The finings could possibly have had some dissolved oxygen in which would also stimulate further yeast action.

Don't bottle while it is still fermenting. At the very least wait until it has stopped bubbling and better still (like others have said) get a hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back