Newbie saying hey!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robhullfury

Reaction score
Hi there, read the forum a couple of times and scratched my head about buying the kit. I haven't got much room for storage which has always put me off. As a push and to stop me sulking the wife bought me an iBrew from wilkos. Said basically "try it if you like it you can buy more if not you've had a go", true and she knows me too well!

I have the fermenting bucket, bottles, steriliser, sugar, spoon, malt, syphon tube and a set of step by step instructions. I already know this is going to become a new hobby so looking forward abit as I havent started the brew yet....... I drink IPA beers and like Punk IPA kind of strong hoppy tastes.

The question is, based on what I have now without jumping in buying boiling kettles, mashers, cooling systems and pressurised kegs. What things should I invest in to enable me to have a shot at making a similar taste to Punk in the future? Is there any kits without buying the one from the Brewdog site! I dont mind having a go at hops but obviously dont have all the stuff ( i think ) I need!.........

Its a puzzling world to a noob!

Thanks
Rob

My advice (for what it's worth). Get a couple of kits under your belt to get your processes sorted. Then start tinkering - adding hops, shortening/lengthening brews, see how you go and then decide how far you want to take it. I suspect quite a long way! Whatever, good luck, and welcome to the forum by the way!

Welcome to the forum! I started with kits and provaricated for ages before going all grain (you sound like you've already got big ambitions!)
^+1 for getting your processes down before taking the plunge

You could make a pretty good punk type beer with some dried malt extract and a few hop types. You just need a big stock pot or similar. You just mix some of the extract into water and boil it, add the hop at various times, then mix the rest of the extract in, pour it in to your fv, strainng the hops out, add cold water, splash it about, then add yeast.

Or you can soak malted barley in water held at 65-70C for an hour, then boil that with hops. Sound simple? It is! You don't have to buy cans of beer cordial to make beer simply, or drink the beer that beer cordial produces, there is an easy way to make real, fresh beer!

Thanks for all the replies, I can see this becoming addictive!

My job sees me tinkering with blends so I can see this fitting in nicely :)

Thanks for the punk advice, I'll do this one first then jump in at the deep end :D
Rob

Latest posts

Back