Sterilising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Nicol

Reaction score
I'm going to do my second ever home brew today. I have just got a St. Peter's ruby red ale. My friend did the sterilising 1st time now he's on holiday anyway I have filled up my TV with water and solution put thermometer etc in how long do I leave it all to sterilise ? Thanks

Some stuff I think is instant and other leave for ten min. Some rinse some no rinse like star san.
What are you using and what do the instructions say?

15 minutes I think for Miltons. Google should confirm....

Spot on MM, i use the tablets and liquid and its 15 minutes contact time for both and no rinse required.

I was under the impression beer brewers don't like to use bleach based steriliser as you have to be sure you have rinsed it properly so as not to spoil your brew. (i never rinse as i only make wine)

Spot on MM, i use the tablets and liquid and its 15 minutes contact time for both and no rinse required.

I was under the impression beer brewers don't like to use bleach based steriliser as you have to be sure you have rinsed it properly so as not to spoil your brew. (i never rinse as i only make wine)

You ave to rinse bleach based cleaners/sterilisers throughly because if you don't it form a compound that gives beer a antiseptic/band aid taste. Same effect as if you don't filter your water/ use as campden tablet

Latest posts

Back