120 pints brewed today !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redron

Regular.
Reaction score
It's wet and windy on Skye today (for a change...) so what else is there to do but make beer ! So...

Brewbuddy bitter, 1.8kg + 1kg dextrose + 600g barley malt extract . Brewed slightly short to 21.5L and an OG of 1046.
First time I have done this kit so not sure what to expect.

John Bull Best Bitter, 1.8kg + 1kg dextrose + 600g barley malt extract. Again, brewed slightly short to 21.5L and an OG of 1046.

Geordie Bitter. 1.5kg + 1kg dextrose + 1kg barley malt extract. Short to 21.5L with an OG of 1052 ! This is one of my favourite one can kits, for some reason after six weeks in the barrel it just transforms overnight into a lovely, creamy and smooth beer, and just £8.50 in the Tesco sale, bargain.

I have tried the other Geordie kits, they are ok, but none come close to this.
This is the first time I have added so much malt extract, just hoping the standard 11g kit yeast can cope... Or should I add more ?

The barley malt extract came courtesy of Amazon, £11 for 2x 3.18kg tubs. Not specific to home brewing but should do the job of adding additional fermentables and flavour at reasonable cost.

I have three brews currently conditioning using this for the first time. They tasted fine on bottling/barrelling so I have high hopes...

11g yeast is enough. But are you sure the kit yeast is 11g?

I passed through Skye last weekend. Amazing part of the world. Last May I dislocated my shoulder on Skye, cycling. Which ruined a great holiday! This time we cycled Ullapool to Mallaig, though I did a lot of the driving. Ullapool to Applecross was stunning, in beautiful weather. Highly recommend that area.

Mmm, good question. Just weighed the yeast packet and it shows 10g inc the wee silver packet, so I'm guessing the contents would be closer to 7 or 8g. Is that enough for a beefed up kit ?
Yes, I am a lucky boy living here, it is truly stunning at all times in all weather !
I motorcycled across Applecross pass just last week completing the whole circuit from Strathcarron to Sheildaig and back to Skye, nice little 120 mile jaunt and back for a little trout fishing in the evening. It's tough, but someone has to do it...

The cheapest way to get good extract to add is just to mash a bit of grain its cheap and easy. All you need is a big pan and a net curtain! and this gets you the best possible addition.

Atb. Aamcle

So, after a bit of reading round. I assume 500g of Maris Otter at 90p , steeped In hot (68deg) water for an hour or so gets me a nice cheap additive for my kits. How much water do I need to use ? And I assume this is strained through the wife's best net curtains....
Dammit, you lot, you'll have me doing AG soon !!!

Had coffee in Shieldaig in glorious sunshine. Great part of the world to live.

7g will do it. 11 better. You could buy a 5g or 6g pack if available. Might be tricky on Skye!

1 kg of Dextrose is about 2.1 kg of grain assuming a reasonable 75% efficiency but that's still cheap :) As for water its not that critical 6 litres to 10 litres or more the merrier up to the limit of the volume you need for the kit.

Aamcle

1 kg of Dextrose is about 2.1 kg of grain assuming a reasonable 75% efficiency but that's still cheap :) As for water its not that critical 6 litres to 10 litres or more the merrier up to the limit of the volume you need for the kit.

Aamcle

Yep, I'm with you. Didn't quite realise I can replace the dextrose too as well as the malt extract I have been adding. That does make it cheap. Thank you.

11g yeast is enough. But are you sure the kit yeast is 11g?

I passed through Skye last weekend. Amazing part of the world. Last May I dislocated my shoulder on Skye, cycling. Which ruined a great holiday! This time we cycled Ullapool to Mallaig, though I did a lot of the driving. Ullapool to Applecross was stunning, in beautiful weather. Highly recommend that area.

Give me an engine and two wheels any day :smile:

regards

No sense of achievement or connection with your surroundings. And even more dangerous. :-)

I'm in both camps. Superb mountain biking, motorcycling and beer you can make with the tap water. Flippin heck, best keep quiet or every Tom, dick and Harry will be up this way ! Actually, they are, place is swarming with Dutch and German camper vans....

You can make beer with Manchester tap water. It's piped here from the Lake District you see. :thumb:

If only. Boddies circa 1978.

Oh yes, I remember hitch hiking from Bradford to North Wales in 1978 to go climbing. We got a lift with some lads in the back of a Tranny van and they gave us tinnies of Boddingtons , not the crappy widget stuff you get now. My first introduction to Boddies and I distinctly remember thinking what a lovely beer it was. Shame it ain't around anymore.:-(

Back