Chocolate Outmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewArtisan

Reaction score
Hi.

It is my Chocolate Outmeal Stout recipe. Any opinion is important for me. Regards.

Initial Batch: 8 liters
Final Batch: 5 liters
Efficiency: 70%

Malts

Pilsen Malt
Roasted Barley
Flaked Oats

Hops

Chinook
Chinook

Adjunct

Unsweetened chocolate broken

Yeast

Nottingham

Chocolate that I will use is it.

chocolate-ambato.jpg

Do you know what OG and IBUs that'll give you? And have you considered using chocolate malt?

Do you know what OG and IBUs that'll give you? And have you considered using chocolate malt?

Brewtarget showed me:

OG: 1051
IBUs: 25

I considered use chocolate malt but if I use it I have to use Caramel Malt for obtain a good EBC.

Brewtarget showed me:

OG: 1051
IBUs: 25

I considered use chocolate malt but if I use it I have to use Caramel Malt for obtain a good EBC.

I would increase the IBUs to 35.

That last sentence doesn't make sense. You can just add some choc malt to your recipe. I would use that instead of actual chocolate myself.

I would increase the IBUs to 35.

That last sentence doesn't make sense. You can just add some choc malt to your recipe. I would use that instead of actual chocolate myself.

Sorry man I though that you said me to change roasted barley with chocolat malt for this reason I response it.

You think that adding some chocolate malt give me the same feeling to taste with real chocolate added. What would be the difference?

I've never added real chocolate. But chocolate malt will provide some chocolate flavour. In the way in which the beer gods intended!

Be careful using real chocolate/powder. I have this in my notes now after making a really ****ty chocolate stout for my first ever stout brew about a year ago :oops:

"Use low fat cocoa powder. I used a cocoa powder with 1% fat last night and it worked well. A normal (circa 23%) cocoa powder will kill any head.
You can buy defatted cocoa powder from Dukan for £6 per 250g.
"

I'd now do as Clibit suggests above, just use some grains...

I've never added real chocolate. But chocolate malt will provide some chocolate flavour. In the way in which the beer gods intended!

How many grams of chocolate malt recommend me add and another question why you recommend get 35 IBUs in the beer? Brewtarget show me that my beer is extra hoppy

You want about 180grams total of the roasted malts for 8 litres. 135g roast barley and 45g chocolate malt is about right.

Back