Fuggles hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogermort

Regular.
Reaction score
I understand there are issues with Fuggles hop plants.

My wife is a professional gardener. We live in an area (Rutland) that as far as I know doesn't grow hops. If she wants to grow Fuggles hops, where could I buy a 'clean' plant from?

I cannot answer your question but could i ask you to post what you mean by "I understand there are issues with Fuggles hop plants" as it could be helpful to other members.

I don't know sorry. But try Progress hops, they were developed to replace Fuggles, and I actually prefer them. Sacrilege, probably, but true!

I cannot answer your question but could i ask you to post what you mean by "I understand there are issues with Fuggles hop plants" as it could be helpful to other members.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that hops growers have been having difficulties recently crop-wise (e.g. bad weather, poor harvests etc.)

From the Jims Brew forum: "The verticillium wilt is the big killer one because he said that once it gets in it stays in the soil so you can't replant new Fuggle rhizomes. New planting is going on in Alsace and although it would be the same plant the soil will in time change it. I have a Fuggle plant that has being neglected and quite a few at the conference said the same. We concluded that we see a black market in trading Fuggle hop rhizomes in the future."

I'm planning a Harvey's Best for my next brew. The recipe calls for Progress, Fuggles, Bramling Cross and Goldings. As Progress and Fuggles are so similar, could I go with double the amount of one or the other, or would it be better to stick with the original recipe?

You could do, but they're not identical. I think yeast is the biggest obstacle to brewing Harvey's best.

You could do, but they're not identical. I think yeast is the biggest obstacle to brewing Harvey's best.
I'll stick with both then. As for yeast I have Brewlabs Sussex 01 sitting on an agar slope waiting to go. This is the closest I could get to Harvey's without getting a couple of bottles and harvesting the yeast (seeing as I live in NI and you can't buy it over here, would make for a rather expensive brew!)

Back