2nd ever home brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Nicol

Reaction score
Just done my 2nd ever home brewed ale. A ruby red St. Peter's ale

Fingers crossed

a4444444.jpg

Done it, drank it, great kit!

Wished there was a clone AG version of this as it's one of my favourite beers. I'm trying to stop buying kits and move to AG but there's some real good kits out there. Had a neighbours 'Young's APA' yesterday evening... OMG, probably the best kit beer I've ever tasted :-o

Enjoy when it's ready :drink:

Have patience with this one. It was two months in bottles before started tasting good. It was my second batch too coincidentally!

St Peter's tell us that the beer contains rye malt and Cascade hops, which appear to have replaced Styrian Goldings. A red ale recipe that uses rye malt and cascade can be put together, maybe not identical, but probably better than the kit. I'd hope so anyway. I've done a red ale with cascades and ekg that was great. No rye in it though. I'll adapt that later and post it. 2 minute job.

Just done a reading I'd say 1.013. I had a taste. It had a sharp taste to it & is a thin liquid of that makes sense. Been in fv for 8 days

image.jpg

That might be about ready for kegging, I did mine at about the same FG. As long as it stays the same over the next couple of days. Its a lovely beer, similar but better than a Wherry

That might be about ready for kegging, I did mine at about the same FG. As long as it stays the same over the next couple of days. Its a lovely beer, similar but better than a Wherry

I'm new to all this so any helps great fun. It seems very watery to me & thin if that makes sense? I tried the trial jar and it was really watery?

It won't taste right after only 8 days. If the gravity is stable and you bottle or keg, leave it in the warm for two weeks and cold for another two weeks then have another try.

to add...
That hydrometer looks like it is reading 1016 to me , those graduation lines are 2 points. My experience of the premium kits suggest leaving it in the fv for at least another week and than check again. It won't do it any harm even if it has finished it's primary fermentation at 8 days and it will have cleared a bit more when you bottle/barrel. :cheers:

39 1/2 (because I tipped one over while capping) bottles of St. Peter's Ruby Red ale all bottled. Now to play the waiting game

image.jpg

I put this in my bottles on the 7/6/15 and put in garage on 15/6/15

Is it worth opening one today to drink ?

I agree why not give it a go it can only go one of two ways. A month in the bottle, on you second brew, you have great patience and it will serve you well.

Latest posts

Back