10l biab from 12l pot?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pietrach

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 12 litres pot and making 7 litres batches. I end up with approx 6 litres of beer which is slightly too little.
How can I back calculate the gravity i should achieve post boil so that I hit the planned gravity when I add extra 3litres of water?
Should i simply put grian bill as if it was for 10l but use less water? And top up to 10l after boil?

Yes use 10L grain bill and use as much water as you can. Another option is to split the boil into two pans. Or you can do a partial mash and add dme at the end, and cold water.

I'm an AG beginner with a 12l Wilko stockpot.

I used Clibit's recipe for simple AG brewing and I used 6l for the mash, poured it into a sterile FV for temporary storage, and then did a sparge with another 6l of water. I then added the first run off from the mash back to the sparge water and it fitted in the 12 litre pot with enough margin for the boil, because the 2kg of grain had absorbed enough of the liquor to make that difference. I still got a 1050 OG when the boil was over. I did top up post boil with a tiny bit with fresh water on one of the brews I did - only about 500ml. I probably had the heat up too much - not sure really why I lost the volume.

Clibit's idea of running two pots on the boil would solve any situation where you ended up with too much wort to boil in the one pot, and as the wort was lost to evaporation, you could add the wort back from the smaller pot to the larger one.

Latest posts

Back