Witbier BIAB - opinions on recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
Hi guys, thinking of the recipe below - thoughts on this?

Batch size: 10ltr
Total grain: ~3kg
Total hops: 70g
Original Gravity (OG): 1.300
Final Gravity (FG): 1.264
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72%
Colour (SRM): 4
Bitterness (IBU): 4.8
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 85 (Hopefully!)
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1kg Pilsner (33%)
1kg Pale Wheat malt (33%)
1kg Flaked Wheat (33%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25g Hallertau Mittlefruh hops @ 60 minutes
20g Simcoe hops @ 10 minutes
25g Hallertau Mittlefruh (Dry hop at 5-7 days)

Misc Bill
----------------
20g Coriander seed @ 10 minutes.

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safbrew WB-06

This is bastardising a recipe that was posted the other week here and adding Simcoe hops 'cos i like the smell of them. I'm thinking the late addition will impart the aroma rather than the bitterness.

Ran this through BrewersFriend for all the data.

I'm not a wheat beer brewer but I think they tend to be more 50/50 wheat/barley malt.

And what happened to the IBUs, can't be right. 48 not 4.8? 48 would be very high for a Wit.

I'm not a wheat beer brewer but I think they tend to be more 50/50 wheat/barley malt.

And what happened to the IBUs, can't be right. 48 not 4.8? 48 would be very high for a Wit.

I had a read about the malts and I couldn't find a consensus on what was best; using the recipe that Ste posted earlier this month as a base for the recipe. I'm adding flaked wheat to the mix to give the beer more body.

Regarding the IBUs i too thought this was off. See the BrewersFriend output below. Any recommendations welcomed!

Untitled.png

I get 43 IBUs in Brewmate. And OG around 1065, ABV 6.3%ish.

You want to halve the IBUs, and I'd use Simcoe at 0 mins for aroma, 10 mins will add a lot of piney flavour. Summat like this:

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.500
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 4.0 (EBC): 7.9
Bitterness (IBU): 23.1
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70

Grain Bill
----------------
1.000 kg Pilsner (40%)
1.000 kg Wheat Malt (40%)
0.500 kg Flaked Wheat (20%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (3.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
25.0 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (3.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (2.5 g/L)
20.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)

Thanks clibit, absolute star. I'll try running that through again, but will go with that mix :)

Make sure your hop Alpha %'s are correct. If you haven't already.

The witbier with watermelon I've got going just now smells awesome.

I just wish I had put bitter orange peel in with the coriander seed as well as adding the watermelon, but we live and learn :D
Having another bash at this this weekend.

Bitter orange, coriander and simcoe. I wonder, would that be a flavour too far for this....

Thoughts?

Think am going to go with amarillo or nelson and the bitter orange in my next batch.
Or might buy some citra.

If am using nelson or citra think I'd add them at 20 or 30 minutes, stop them adding too much bitterness.

Think am going to go with amarillo or nelson and the bitter orange in my next batch.
Or might buy some citra.

If am using nelson or citra think I'd add them at 20 or 30 minutes, stop them adding too much bitterness.

Later than that I reckon. Go for aroma.

Would be super keen to see how this brew day goes; absolutely love a good witbier and I've been looking for a tried and tested recipe for a while. Loving the small batches so I could leave the maths out of it too!

Would be super keen to see how this brew day goes; absolutely love a good witbier and I've been looking for a tried and tested recipe for a while. Loving the small batches so I could leave the maths out of it too!

Brewday is Thursday this week, and seeing as it's a school night we'll go light on the brewskis.

Ordered up my malt from themaltmiller.co.uk today so that will arrive probably Thursday during the day.

Shooting for about 10l of this beer which we are tentatively naming 'Witless *******'.

Going to be fun I reckon, i'm not all that keen on the orange peel/ grapefruit element but we'll see what we end up doing on the night. We've been swaying back and forth on the idea. :D

I've ordered some mangrove jack M20, which is their Belgian wheat beer yeast, should be here for a go at similar on Saturday :D

Brewday tomorrow, all psyched and ready to go...

Also, bottling day for the DIPAster! (which is what i'm calling the Hardcore IPA clone) Pictures will follow.

I had a read about the malts and I couldn't find a consensus on what was best; using the recipe that Ste posted earlier this month as a base for the recipe. I'm adding flaked wheat to the mix to give the beer more body.

Regarding the IBUs i too thought this was off. See the BrewersFriend output below. Any recommendations welcomed!

If you hadn't already guessed by the way Brewersfriend is bugged badly

It was Brewmate which worked pretty well.. then it was bought and rebranded as brewersfriend, I have a copy on my PC and its totally nonsene. I don't know if its been patched up or what but look at your screenshot it is mental. The OG and FG and IBUs are bonkers

Back