prime with..?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
What's the best thing to prime a keg/bottle with? I've found some brewing sugar at the back of a cupboard, its still in date, its called dextrose monohydrate.
Any good?

Anyone tried using the Youngs Brew Enhancer for priming? I find table sugar a bit grainy and the Brew Enhancer is a bit more powdery and would be easier to dissolve as I normally prime direct to the bottle.

Anyone tried using the Youngs Brew Enhancer for priming? I find table sugar a bit grainy and the Brew Enhancer is a bit more powdery and would be easier to dissolve as I normally prime direct to the bottle.

I wouldn't bother personally, whilst it would work it's just unnecessary expense. Use brewing sugar if you want to as it is very fine and dissolves easily. Never had a problem with granulated though.

just use granulated sugar everything else is unnecessary and a waste of money. I can not see any benefit from using anything else it would have no effect in such small quantities

I'd be concerned about the DME in that brew enhancer clumping up and taking longer to dissolve than normal sugar. Dunno, the yeast will chomp though it either way I guess.

Tend to use dextrose as it seems to dissolve a bit more easily at low temperatures than table sugar but will use the latter when that's all that's available.

When i make "champagne" I just use table sugar syrup squirted into the bottle with a syringe to get an accurate dose.
Mind you i am looking for 75-80 psi

Latest posts

Back