Storing steralised equipment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed_Trently

Brew Cat
Reaction score
Hey dudes,

I'm wondering how all you guys store your sterilised equipment because I go to all the effort of sanitising it and free from contamination only to put it in a plastic bag ;)

So once you've done to sanitising process, where do you guys put your stirrers, hydrometers, thermometers, siphons ect

Thanks,
Jed

Hey dudes,

I'm wondering how all you guys store your sterilised equipment because I go to all the effort of sanitising it and free from contamination only to put it in a plastic bag ;)

So once you've done to sanitising process, where do you guys put your stirrers, hydrometers, thermometers, siphons ect

Thanks,
Jed

In a plastic storage box.

To be honest, it's only sterilised before I use it. If you sterilise then store, the chances are it won't be sterile when you come to use it. As for putting it down once I've sterilised it, a plastic dinner tray or some such, with starsan on it, is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

+3

Steralised / sanitised equipment should "typically" be used within the hour.. clean it and then sanitise right before use. Otherwise it wont be santised before use.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Straightforward answers are appreciated. Looks like I'll have to buy a sizable to hold everything

When you say sterilise, do you mean use the proper sterliser recommended for brewing? (I use VWP)

For example if I want to check the temp of my brew in the fermentation process, will I have to sterilise the thermometer every time or just rinse with water?

Thanks,
Jed

Anything that goes near the brew after it has boiled needs to be sterile, not just rinsed. This is why so many people use StarSan. Thermometer, hydrometer, syphon tube, bottling stick, bottles, lids.....anything at all!

Back