Wilko's Golden ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom

Reaction score
Hi All,

Kicked off a Wilko Golden Ale at 32 pints earlier today.
Only my 2nd brew so fingers crossed.

1st brew was a Woodfordes Rear Admiral, which is just being poured from the keg. Very tasty after a fornight conditioning.

I'll keep you posted and annoy with dumb questions.
Cheers :drink:

Welcome to the forum Doom , no such thing as a dumb question here....we were all newbies at one stage. I would reccomend reading the how to guides and if in any doubt as to what your doing , there is always someone on here who would be willing to help...:drink::p

The Wilko Golden Ale is a pretty solid kit, that I have done several times and in many guises. Brewing it to 4 galls (18L) should come out quite well, I should think.

Ta for the warm welcome. I might try a different hops as the missus hates really citrus hoppy beers. Spray malt sounds like a good idea though.

This was one of my early kits and was impressed with it, I kegged it from memory and it was lovely. Good luck with it.

Hi again.
The golden ale is about to be kegged this weekend. I picked up a second brewkit off eBay for £11! That's got a keg & capper with it.
The initial fermentations' been slow to say the least, I've not heard any bubbles, but there's the tell tale murky line above the liquid in the fv.
I'm thinking about adding hops in a bag to the keg, with the finings, for a little more bite to the end product. Is this a good idea?
I'm hoping it'll be ready to drink Glastonbury weekend, as were having our own backyard festival.

Whats the 'new' kit you are doing.

With dry hopping you add the the hops into the fermentation vessel at the end of primary fermentation (ie. just before transferrig into the keg/bottles). The hops want to be in there for 4 days, leave them in much longer than 4 days and you risk a grassy taste from them being in too long. Do not add the hops into the keg.

The new brewkit I got is a starter pack. Keg, fv, tubing, pressure cap, bottle capper, etc.
Located on eBay for £11. I'm just off to fetch it from Rutland water today.
But it sounds like I'll not be transferring to keg just yet.
4 days for the hops to be in the fv first.

Thats the wilko golden with bramling cross dry hop, kegged up and in the coldest darkest spot I could find.
It still looks pretty dark for a golden ale. I'm hoping it'll look clearer\tastier in a glass in about 3 weeks.

I'm just finishing the last of my first brew, the rear admiral stuff. its tough to keep out of thirsty hands.
Still REALLY fizzy though, even in the last couple of inches of the keg, with no added CO2.

I think my Wilko Golden Ale was a little darker than expected, more of a light/mid colourer bitter than a pale ale

Back