Mini keg and co2 query..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmicp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 9L plastic keg with a top that allows for a co2 bulb to be used. I have it full with Wherry and last night I had my first pint, which was lovely :drink: a lot of gas came out with it and it was very frothy. Later that night I thought I'd treat myself to just one more but it wasn't pressurised anymore and only got half a pint. So it must be time to use a bulb to get some pressure in so I can get another pint, but I'm wondering how to use the bulb as last time I did ( after filling it with wherry) the keg started expand before my eyes and I panicked and unscrewed the bulb and wasted a bulb. So is there a correct safe way to use it without exploding the keg and using a whole bulb?

Im really looking forward to my next pint of wherry but don't want to kill myself in the process :-|

Thanks

I have never really got on with plastic barrels and no longer use them.
As I see it the problem you have is that you have very little head space so, as you have found, out dumping a whole CO2 bulb will create a high pressure. Unfortunately this high pressure does not last long as you draw beer as the volume increase percentage is also high and so pressure will drop quickly. The pressure drop would be less with more head space.

One way of improving the situation would be to use one of the S30 type CO2 canisters where you can just add a bit of gas as you need it rather than a whole bulb in one go. You would need to get an S30 canister and possibly a new cap or adapter. These should be available from most good home brew outlets.

I used to use the Midget Widget system but these seem to be in short supply now.

If I get a S30 cannister will I need to change the top of my barrel to a non piercing pin type? Are they allowed to send these cannisters by post?

I last night went to get try and get a dribble out but the barrel had some how repressurised over the space of 24 hours..... Is it the norm to have pressure - no pressure and then pressure again?

I did on a whim buy a refurbished corny keg for around £40 but now I need to get the other parts then find a local source of co2.....thinking I may give the large storage options a miss and go back to bottling with my 500ml swing tops.

Thanks

I just gave the shop a ring and asked about the valve and they confirmed that I need a non piercing valve......

I may look more into this midget widget system...

Thanks

If you have got a corny then you are probably better off going down that route. Bit more expense on the initial outlay but after that the large CO2 bottles last for ages and are reasonably cheap to refill.
The Midget Widget is difficult to find nowadays and is also quite expensive.

Back