Flexibility with the fermentation process?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed_Trently

Brew Cat
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently brewing an IPA, the instructions say 4-6 days (18-20C) for fermentation and when the gravity falls consistently below 1.014.

I understand all this but its been 6 days and the gravity is floating around 1.017.

I'm not in a rush at all with this brew so I'm not hugely fussed, although this issue raised a few questions.

How flexible is the fermentation process? If I leave it in there longer will the brew become richer when it's conditioned? I've got plenty of time to give it if it needs it.

Also, what's the flexibility with temperature during fermentation? I've heard it's the consistency of the temperature that really matters. This brew asks for 18-20C, although with my setup I feared there would be a few degrees heat lose from the water to the FV. For this reason I set the fish tank heater to 21C to accommodate for the temperature lose during transmission. To my surprise the temp inside the FV is a constant 21C, so the heater seems to working swimmingly (Excuse the pun). I don't want to change it now so the temp becomes inconsistent during the final stages of fermentation.

Cheers,
Jed

If your method is holding a constant 21 that's great. A constant temp within the range specified for the yeast is ideal. Fluctuations are not good. Fermentation is rarely completely done in six days, standard practice is to ignore the kit and allow two or three weeks in the FV. And you want a constant gravity over a three day period before bottling.

If your method is holding a constant 21 that's great. A constant temp within the range specified for the yeast is ideal. Fluctuations are not good. Fermentation is rarely completely done in six days, standard practice is to ignore the kit and allow two or three weeks in the FV. And you want a constant gravity over a three day period before bottling.

A-Ha! This backs up my suspicions :)

I've now read a few topics that say ignore the very 'optimistic' instructions.

Thanks for advice bud!

P.S. Just a quick questions, I have light brownish lumps floating in my brew, is this just undissolved yeast? Will I have to filter my brew when I transfer it to the barrel for conditioning?

Browny floaty lumps will be fine - usually just part of fermentation process. No need to filter. A good rule of thumb for beer is 2 + 2 + 2 - 2 weeks fv, 2 weeks barrel/ bottle in the warm (same temp as fermentation is ok), 2 weeks cold (for ale, I go for 10 - 12°c). This last two weeks helps the beer clear. 2 + 2 + 2!!

Browny floaty lumps will be fine - usually just part of fermentation process. No need to filter. A good rule of thumb for beer is 2 + 2 + 2 - 2 weeks fv, 2 weeks barrel/ bottle in the warm (same temp as fermentation is ok), 2 weeks cold (for ale, I go for 10 - 12°c). This last two weeks helps the beer clear. 2 + 2 + 2!!

Wonderful!

Thanks for the tip, i've made a note of it :) Any typical places that stay around that 10-12 range?

Thanks,
Jed

I've got a fermentation fridge hooked up to stc1000. Firdge was free from freecycle, stc about £11 from ebay. Not too difficult, and works a treat.

Back