Adding Fruit Flavourings To Kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRae

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to experiment with my next brew. I havent got all the equipment required for an all grain brew, so I was thinking would it work if I was to add fruit essence to a two can kit?

I like the idea of a peach flavour, anyone have any suggestions on which kit, how much essence etc?

Cheers

Jamie

Never added peach essence to a kit and am not sure what kit you would add it to - although to my way of thinking I would maybe add it to a pale ale with a peachy flavour hop/hop that is complimented by peachy flavours. Dunno what hop though, ask clibit, he's very good at that kind of thing. Then find a kit made with that hop you could also dry hop/make a hop tea to add to the kit too with whatetever that hop would be

A standard way of adding flavouring essences to beer which I've read about but never done is as follows:

*After fermentation of the brew draw off 500ml or a Ltr.
*Slowly drop by drop add the essence to your sample, tasting as to add.
*When your happy with the amount you've got in the sample, scale it up and add it to the bulk of your beer.

Iv got a strawberry Cerveza on the go at the mo, not sure about the taste but smells heavenly. I'm hoping it will be along the lines of a Belgian frulli.

How did you brew that? If you dont mind let me know how it tastes once its ready it sounds good!

The peachiest commercial brew I've had is Badgers Golden Glory which has very distinct peach and melon flavours. It's a great summer ale. It uses Fuggles and Challenger hops and elderflower.

Brewuk sells an extract kit with all the ingredients you need but I've not made it so don't know how close it is to the original. I would definitely give it a go rather than trying to recreate something similar with fresh fruit.

You could try adding fresh fruit to a standard kit but you would need a lot of peaches to get any sort of flavour and it can be difficult to get the taste you're looking for as the taste of fruit additions can change a lot once the fermentation has brewed away all the sugar. (I've tried with plums!)

Theres always the classic lime juice and zest in mexican cerveza.
A lot of guys use some European cherry or raspberry concentrate thing called lowicz to add fruit flavour to turbo cider...

Elderflower will give a peachy flavour as mentioned above. I've recently brewed an elderflower ale using 25g dried and the flavour isn't very strong, I'd recommend at least 50g. Think I added it 15mins before the end of the boil.

Latest posts

Back