Harvey's Best

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManseMasher

Regular.
Reaction score
I've just prepared the yeast starter - Brewlabs Sussex 1 in 300ml DME. When that's done it will be added to

3.75kg Maris Otter
280g Crystal
210g flaked maize
26g Progress @ 60
26kg Bramling Cross @ 30
15g Fuggles and 15g EKG at flameout
OG 1042
FG 1010
ABV 4.1%
IBU 31
EBC 15

Starting Saturday pm!

"To grow the yeast from the slope prepare a nutrient solution of malt broth by dissolving three table spoons of malt extract in 300 cm³ of boiled water in a clean sterilised flask or bottle of at least 500 cm³ size."

Beat me to it Manse.

I tried to work out what you are brewing but it's late, something gold ?

Am I right in thinking that your hop additions are more or less a family tree ?

(I know, I should look it up).

Harveys Sussex Best is supposed to be amber/copper in colour. All the hops are local to the brewery (Lewes, East Sussex), so are probably relatives in one way or another. You can certainly substitute a couple of them for each other if doing brews requiring less additions. Hopefully I'll end up with something half-decent! Should be quite hoppy with those additions, with a bit of fruitiness from the Bramling Cross. Whatever happens, here's hoping it's quaffable!

The main thing that stands out for me in a pint of Harvey's Best, is the sweetness and aroma of the malt. It's almost candy-floss like. To some extent I think it's what separates it as being better than most other bitters I've tried.

Harveys Sussex Best is supposed to be amber/copper in colour. All the hops are local to the brewery (Lewes, East Sussex), so are probably relatives in one way or another. You can certainly substitute a couple of them for each other if doing brews requiring less additions. Hopefully I'll end up with something half-decent! Should be quite hoppy with those additions, with a bit of fruitiness from the Bramling Cross. Whatever happens, here's hoping it's quaffable!

I'm sure it will be :thumb:

Darker than I thought then. I should have been less lazy and put it into Brewmate.

Is there any yeast fruitiness too ?

What's it like?!
A bit raw, as you would expect after only 3 days! It's not as dark as I would have expected either, but still very nice. Plenty of lacing and the start of a head, nice hoppy twang so my diy hop ball did the trick. Sussex yeast has added a nice flavour too, so all said and done I'll be doing this one again.

What was your batch size and its OG, FG? Might have to try this yeast. Lived near Lewes for 4 years...

Latest posts

Back