brewing alcopop, noob questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi,

So after brewing a few beer kits, i decided to go "off-piste". I found a ribena alcopop recipe, that basically heated up a bottle of original ribena with a few liters of water to desolve a kilo of sugar. Once cool i added a teaspoon of yeast, and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient, and some lemon juice. Decanted the mixture into a demijohn and topped up to the shoulder with water to allow room for fermenting. It sat in the corner of the living room, and i was confident it's fermenting as i hear the air lock bubbling from time to time. It's been there for about a week and a half, at about 20 degrees centigrade.

This evening i decided to test it with my hydrometer to see how it was doing. Attached is the pic. Basically the hydrometer is floating off the scale. It tastes super sweet.

Could someone explain the reading to me? is there just loads of sugar still in the brew, and it's fermenting really slowly?

I take it i should keep taking readings until the brew levels out? having said that if it's off the scale of my hydrometer, will it ever decrease enough to get onto the scale?

Any suggestions/wisdom, much appreciated.

wa3x93.jpg

Having put a gorse flower wine on to brew three weeks ago with three pounds of sugar ,it is still fermenting ,it should take 4/6 weeks to ferment out ie much longer than beer... Ribena probably contains loads of sugar anyway plus your additional kilo so I would be patient and let it ferment for a week or three........if not longer.....

Thanks for replies. I didn't realise i was boiling the ribena for that reason, i just assumed it was to help dissolve the sugar. I think i may have not boiled it hard enough. I'm going to persist to see how things turn out anyways.

Rich, you want to boil it up and simmer for 10mins or so. I've just done a Robinson's tropical barley this way and it fermented out perfectly to 1000. There's a post on here somewhere about the Robinson's versions. Search 'cheap and simple tropical punch' on here.
Sorry doing this from my phone so can't add a Linky.

If i remember right mine stopped at 1020 and as you can see from the table below it was undrinkable, i like my wines on the dry side so even if it had made it to 1000 it would have been too sweet for me.

0.990 is dry
0.995 is medium/dry
1.000 is medium
1.005 is medium/sweet
1.010 is sweet

Chippy, I think because you're only adding 400g of sugar to the punch version the yeast copes ok, maybe in wines/wows there's just too much sugar and left over preservatives from the concentrated juices and they die off before fermentation is done.

so i just finished bottling up. it came out at 1054. on my hydrometer that showed about 7%. It tastes ok, quite a strong alcohol taste initially with a very sweet after taste. I added some sugar to it when bottling to give it some fizz, was that right?

It's conditioning when you leave it in the bottles for a few weeks right? what is the purpose of that? will the taste change much?

I have another beer kit for my next brew, but picked a load of black,white, red currents and some gooseberries yesterday, so think i'll add them to the kit, see where that gets me.

On a positive note the bottling was less messy than last time the spring loaded bottle filler was a good buy and only a few quid. :drink:

Back