Cooper's Mexican Cerveza + Dry Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerRS

Reaction score
Oh. My. Word. I have found my BBQ brew. I have just popped the cap on my Cooper's Mexican Cerveza, a week earlier than I anticipated for quality control purposes of course, and it's f-ing marvellous.

It contains:

1 Cooper's Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg kit can
1 Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2
25g of Citra Hop pellets thrown in when fermentation had pretty much stopped (5-7 days into the brew)

I was planning on bottling it soon after adding the pellets but I had no time at all with other commitments. I bottled it nearly 2 weeks after, but it has caused no detriment whatsoever.

It has a very, very light bitterness but the flavour and aroma is fantastic. It's not unlike a blonde ale, slight maltiness, medium mouth feel and the citra hops really go well with this kit. A bit of chill haze but that doesn't bother me at all. I have done the cerveza kit before with the BE2 but although it was very nice, it went down without any real flavour or memorability. Also, the kit yeast seemed to be quite prominent but with the hops this time around, it seems to marry all the flavours together. It totally compliments the yeast and the kit.

I will leave the rest for another week and then move them to under the stairs.... But after then, I can't see them lasting very long at all. BTW, tesco direct has a 25% off offer running until the end of June for those who weren't aware, I'll definitely be grabbing another kit and repeating this exact brew! :cheers::cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. My. Word. I have found my BBQ brew. I have just popped the cap on my Cooper's Mexican Cerveza, a week earlier than I anticipated for quality control purposes of course, and it's f-ing marvellous.

It contains:

1 Cooper's Mexican Cerveza 1.5kg kit can
25g of Citra Hop pellets thrown in when fermentation had pretty much stopped (5-7 days into the brew)

I was planning on bottling it soon after adding the pellets but I had no time at all with other commitments. I bottled it nearly 2 weeks after, but it has caused no detriment whatsoever.

It has a very, very light bitterness but the flavour and aroma is fantastic. It's not unlike a blonde ale, slight maltiness, medium mouth feel and the citra hops really go well with this kit. A bit of chill haze but that doesn't bother me at all. I have done the cerveza kit before with the BE2 but although it was very nice, it went down without any real flavour or memorability. Also, the kit yeast seemed to be quite prominent but with the hops this time around, it seems to marry all the flavours together. It totally compliments the yeast and the kit.

I will leave the rest for another week and then move them to under the stairs.... But after then, I can't see them lasting very long at all. BTW, tesco direct has a 25% off offer running until the end of June for those who weren't aware, I'll definitely be grabbing another kit and repeating this exact brew! :cheers::cheers:
Hi where did you get the cites hop pellets from as this is my next brew

I have to admit that whenever I do any lager kits now I always add hops, they just seem to give a greater depth of flavour that I really like.

It contains:

1 Cooper's Mexican Cerveza 1.5kg kit can

This is a good plan and will give a nice "lawnmower beer" copyright Craigtube, only thing you might find is the hop aroma fading as the weeks pass,try adding 40 or 50 g if you feel brave next time.
Good stuff,enjoy

This is a good plan and will give a nice "lawnmower beer" copyright Craigtube, only thing you might find is the hop aroma fading as the weeks pass,try adding 40 or 50 g if you feel brave next time.
Good stuff,enjoy

I like the hop flavour as it is for this batch. Do you find that the flavour/aroma breaks down in the bottles over time?

Yep,it does,even the Youngs kits with 100g of pellets mellow through time
I made a Coopers IPA a couple of months ago and now im wishing i had added more hops than i did.
Although if you are anything like me most batches dont last long!
My advice might not be the best as i brewed a festival golden stag with half the hops and thought it was too hoppy then a few months later i brewed it with the full whack and thought it could do with more!
Think a hop addiction is a possibility :)
Enjoy your beer

I'm with you on that one pms, everything's getting hops in it these days.

Hi thank you bought normal hops citra Liberty and Amarillo and placed 25 gram muslin bag and dropped in weighted down will by the hop pellets thanks for the link

How did you prime your beer,did you batch prime or use carbonation drops,if so how many per bottle

Hehe! Visited tesco homebrew sale yesterday, and got 2 Cerveza kits, 2 lots of brew enhancer...got some Cascade in the freezer...looking forward to this one.

I've done the coopers Cerveza before and it conditions really quickly. I found it was great after just 1 month.

This could be my summer brew....alongside all the others!

Martin

Hi when you used citra hop pellets did they all fall to the bottom or were you left with some on top not a lot but some ?

Everything pretty much dropped out to the bottom. Maybe there were slight traces of hop pellet left on top but I've ended up with a clear bottled beer :)

I've asked this question before but I'm just wondering if anyone could suggest a better yeast to do this kit with. The kit yeast seems to always lift off the bottom of the bottle far too easily and there's too much wastage for my liking. I want a least that I can brew around 18c with as I haven't yet got a fermentation fridge to control temperatures to make proper lager. I'm going to be corny kegging the latest cooper's kit I've done so it won't be an issue there but I will still be using bottles in the future.

Thanks!

I understand that Nottingham Danstar compacts very well, but whether it's a good yeast for this I don't know. I'm midway through drinking a batch of this after seeing your original post, having picked up some Coopers kits in the Tesco sale. I used 35g of citra to dry hop and it has turned out tremendous!

Not 100% about cerveza making as I don't drink the stuff but notty is a great yeast. Packs down tight. has a good temp range 14C-22C, so you can even lager with it, and also makes it a good winter yeast choice if you have no temp control and your fermentation is getting a bit chilly , and has a good attenuation (around 80%)

I used Wilko Gervin yeast on it which I believe is a Nottingham yeast. It was a lovely clear beer and a pleasure to drink, in fact SWMBO has been getting on my case to do another one.

Latest posts

Back