Today's mistake/panic ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

568ml

Reaction score
So it was finally time to restock and I decided I would use what leftovers there were laying about.

Popped down to the cheap shop who sells homebrew stuff got a Coopers IPA, funny enough it was their last too.

So I brewed up:

1 tin Coppers IPA
1 tin Coopers light malt (had)
500g medium spray malt (had)
~250g of cheap honey from Aldi (had)
~200g of brown sugar (had)
And about ~80g of some random caster sugar that was getting hard in a jar.

Used the random yeast that came with the IPA and dropped in a US-05 (had).

Will dry hop with 25g Saaz, left over from another brew, next Friday.

Mixed it all up in the FV, took the OG and just had a quick look at the numbers since there was plenty of bobbles in the hydrometer. Went into a slight panic - I haven't put enough sugar in - as I read under 1035, forgot all about the bobbles and didn't double check the reading.

Heated up a drop of water, mixed in some white sugar to dump into the FV. As I was pouring in the sweet stuff, it hit me - let the hydrometer rest a bit before reading...

So final reading came to 1060, so lets see how it brews away. Hopefully the temp will drop some more over night pitched it a 21-22C.

All my brews with US 05 have been fine - it copes with marginally raised temperatures OK, but does need 2 wks in primary, at least, to drop.

1060 SG might drop to something like 1014 FG, IME of the yeast, so you might consider adding some more water if 6% is a bit more than you were after.

An approach to adding the water and Saaz hops, is a hop tea, so that's up for consideration, too.

I'm happy with the high volume. It will get a week alone as I'm on holiday, so no poking or lifting the lid etc. Then I will dry hop it and hopefully can leave it be until 2-3 weeks.

Well it had a week and a bit in the pot and the FG is at 1007 atm, about 7.1%, and looks like it is still simmering away. The little taster did taste strong and it prickled on the tongue, no hint of the 30g Saaz at all. I'll give it a week more and then hopefully a few months in bottles will give me some favouring.

Tried one after four weeks in bottles. Taste like an IPA, though the alcohol can be tasted, so not so pleasant as I hoped, but still drinkable.

I wonder if the alcohol taste will disappear over the next few weeks.

i find that the 7% mark is where the alcohol prickles the tongue as you say, I'm trying to stay at about 6.5% I find it's the best of both worlds, the flavours of the beer are there and you know you've had a beer.

Tried one after four weeks in bottles. Taste like an IPA, though the alcohol can be tasted, so not so pleasant as I hoped, but still drinkable.

I wonder if the alcohol taste will disappear over the next few weeks.

Time can make a remarkable difference. Just leave it alone and try it again in a few weeks or even months. I've had some disappointing brews turn into really nice beer.

i find that the 7% mark is where the alcohol prickles the tongue as you say, I'm trying to stay at about 6.5% I find it's the best of both worlds, the flavours of the beer are there and you know you've had a beer.

I think you're right on this Larry. In my infinite brewing wisdom, I decided to brew short my Youngs IPA and it came out about 7.3% (I think it said 6.5% on the box). It has the alcohol taste and spoilt a bit, what would have been a decent enough beer. That, and the fact that only two will send you on your way!

Back