Belated introduction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
I've posted a few times on the forum in the Woodforde's Wherry thread, but thought I'd introduce myself properly here! My parents used to brew years ago and they lent me a pressure barrel that I brewed with When i was in university about 10 years ago. I didn't do it very precisely or do much research at the time other than following kit instructions. had a bad batch where I didn't sterilise well enough and I got mould in the barrel. It being a brown plastic barrel, I didn't find out about the mould until I'd drunk a few pints. Needless to say this put me off for a while! I chucked away the barrel and later on my parents cleared out all their old equipment too. I decided to start again when I read about tescos having 25% off homebrew. I bought a fermentation bucket, pressure barrel, coopers lager, cervesa, bitter, a Woodforde's Wherry, coopers brew enhancer 1 and 2 and coopers light malt, hydrometer, test tube. I'm being boring and just using the coopers recommended malt options instead of just caster sugar! I did some research and decided to mod my fv to add an airlock and so bought all the bits I needed to do this. I also decided to use co2 with the barrel and bought an s30 modded lid and some vwp steriliser. I bought all these bits from ballihoo. Really good range there and quick service.

I'm brewing in the garage as the wife won't let me do it in the house! :-( after reading around here I wanted to setup a fermentation fridge with an stc 1000 and greenhouse heater, but I'm not allowed to take up garage space with it!

Hope this time around goes better for you! Welcome to the forums and to the world of brewing tasty beer!

I'm brewing in the garage as the wife won't let me do it in the house! :-( after reading around here I wanted to setup a fermentation fridge with an stc 1000 and greenhouse heater, but I'm not allowed to take up garage space with it!

Present the missus with a worse option. Get a fridge and put it in the living room, she'll then 'force you' to take it into the garage :wink:

An STC1000 controlled brew chamber is great. Just this morning my lager had finished carbonating so I changed the temp from 20 to 5. That simple :razz:

By the way I use light bulbs for the heat source, gentler heat so less likely to cause bouncing (where it goes over temp and the fridge cuts in).

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52394

Easy to follow stc wiring diagram, if it helps....
Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I've got quite a lot of experience with electronics/electricity so hopefully won't have any issues with the STC-1000 wiring. I'm gonna do it on the cheap using a strong plastic box I already have and a couple of these. I think it's brilliant how active this forum is. Also, people aren't all "Eww you're brewing lager!?! Get lost!" :whistle:

Nice one! I used a £5 hobby box from Maplins for mine - wish I'd had a a Dremel or some such because drilling then filing took for kin ever!!

Nice one! I used a £5 hobby box from Maplins for mine - wish I'd had a a Dremel or some such because drilling then filing took for kin ever!!
I love my dremel. So useful! I bought a cheap one from lidl or somewhere first and it was rubbish. Didn't cut well, overheated and couldn't get any spares for it. When i saw a dremel on offer at homebase or somewhere I didn't hesitate. It's lasted really well and does a great job.

My local pub had a mini beer festival a month or so ago, several real ales on tap, real cider as well, and shock horror a `real ale' lager. My daughter bought herself a pint and gave me a sip to try it out - not bad at all! And so far removed from the usual mass-produced cr*p that pubs serve as `lager'. So no bias against lager on this forum, mate.:cheers:

Apart from the cost of the takeaway - and if my family are anything to go by, that's usually about £40!

As promised, some pics of my STC-1000 setup here. I could have made it easy on myself and just soldered the wires together, but instead I tinned the wires with solder to get a more solid setup and wired it up with chocolate block just so it would e easy to dismantle/modify if needed. I used silicone sealant to seal the gaps and glue things into place.

Latest posts

Back